Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
I wiped the partition from the 121.33 GB SSD drive on my 2011 Macbook air. When I restart and do command+R, a globe shows up and turns and it does some kind of install progress for about 11 minutes.

Then it shows an apple logo, shows a big X and then a fast progress bar. Then it immediately comes up with a pop up that says:

There was a problem installing Mac OS X, Try reinstalling. Then it gives an ok button and just puts me back in the disk utility program. Anyone know how to fix this?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Do you have an external DVD drive you could use?

Try booting from a Snow Leopard DVD and completely wiping the drive. Then try booting into the Recovery Mode.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
I tried the option and it didn't work. I didn't have an external DVD drive so I couldn't go that method. Thank you all for your suggestions. I only had the air for a week so I decided to take it back. I tried taking it to the Apple store and they could not fix it because they do not have the usb drives for the version of Lion on the AIR. So I returned it to the store I bought it from for a refund.

I ordered a MBA through Amazon anyways with the Kindle discount :)

mackit6

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Hi. Same thing happened to me today. I decided to do a reinstallation of the Lion on my 13" mba. I followed the suggestion on the apple support website, erased my disk using disk utility and when i tried to reinstall the Lion, it stated that "this version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this machine". I was left with a blank white screen. I restarted the mpa, held onto Command+R, a rotating globe appeared with a 24:00 below. Then an error message "apple.com/support - 1006F" appeared. I restarted the mba with the Command+R, and i have been seeing this rotating globe for the last one hour, same 24:00 below it. Would really appreciate some advice and assistance here. This is my first entrance into the Mac. Thanks and regards.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
I wiped the partition from the 121.33 GB SSD drive on my 2011 Macbook air. When I restart and do command+R, a globe shows up and turns and it does some kind of install progress for about 11 minutes.

Then it shows an apple logo, shows a big X and then a fast progress bar. Then it immediately comes up with a pop up that says:

There was a problem installing Mac OS X, Try reinstalling. Then it gives an ok button and just puts me back in the disk utility program. Anyone know how to fix this?

maybe this helps for some: http://www.ictofficers.co.uk/blog/2011/08/08/apple-osx-restore-offline/

edit: if the message "There was a problem installing Mac OS X, Try reinstalling." appears after a reboot, reset your pram.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Do you have an external DVD drive you could use?

Try booting from a Snow Leopard DVD and completely wiping the drive. Then try booting into the Recovery Mode.
2011 Macbook Airs cannot use 10.6 Snow Leopard or even the version of 10.7 available in the App Store, so there's no option to boot from a DVD.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As you can access this forum you can clearly get the internet.

So go to Apple and download the Lion Recovery USB utility and create a Lion Recovery USB

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Download and create your own recovery USB to kick start the downloading of Lion and recovery of your system.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You can't boot to the DVD? :confused:

That is interesting.
Macs cannot generally run an OS older than the one included with the computer, and the 2011 Macbook Airs all ship with 10.7. There's also no install media; the only installation is via internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.