Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

logic_pro_logic_express.jpg

Apple today released a pair of updates for its Logic audio workstation software packages, fixing a number of bugs and delivering improved compatibility with the Apogee Duet 2 audio interface device. Logic Pro 9.1.5 (192.55 MB) and Logic Express 9.1.5 (138.84 MB) each require Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later.
This update improves overall stability and addresses some minor issues including the following:

- All instrument and effect plug-ins that use LFO's synced to the beat now behave correctly.
- The Toggle Zoom key command now returns to previous zoom level as expected.
- Improved compatibility with Apogee's Duet 2.
Full details on the over a dozen changes included in the updates are available in the release notes.

Article Link: Logic 9.1.5 Updates Bring Bug Fixes and Apogee Duet 2 Compatibility Improvements

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It'll just be Garageband on steroids? Wait.. I feel like I've heard this story before..

That might sound funny but I'd bet it will be true. The current GarageBand is pretty close to Logic Express in functionality already. Naturally, Logic gives you more input and output options. But beyond that, The only real difference is that GB is more colorful and "bubbly" compared to the grey boxy look of Logic.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
can't wait till all of the apps are 64-bit lion compatible

Logic went 64 bit January 2010. And 9.1.4 was supposed to be Lion compatible (and it included full screen mode) although I'll bet there are improvements to that in the new version.

That might sound funny but I'd bet it will be true. The current GarageBand is pretty close to Logic Express in functionality already. Naturally, Logic gives you more input and output options. But beyond that, The only real difference is that GB is more colorful and "bubbly" compared to the grey boxy look of Logic.

I can't say about Express, but the difference between the full version of Logic and GB is absolutely vast, it's night and day.

tbrim

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Logic X...

I can't say about Express, but the difference between the full version of Logic and GB is absolutely vast, it's night and day.

Ha, yeah, well that is the way it has been and always should be. However I am not so sure that I am very excited about any of Apples "pro" products any more. e.g: iMovie - FCP :mad: They seem to be going backwards now. What a shame. Perhaps SteveH's review of Apple's new Logic Studio was legit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNIFtcKjVo

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm hoping it's $150 bucks. ( logic x, that is)

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Where IS logic X. It's way overdue. FCX was given previews but the audio folk are neglected.

If it is bad, i'll jump to another DAW. I want to make the decision. Does this update mean we won't see logic X for a while, or possibly there won't even be a logic x?

I wish apple would just say it's coming next month during ios5 launch.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm hoping it's $150 bucks. ( logic x, that is)

Including all the Jam Packs, of course. I'm sure it will be great fun to download more than 50 Gigabytes of software from the App Store...

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Where IS logic X. It's way overdue. FCX was given previews but the audio folk are neglected.

If it is bad, i'll jump to another DAW. I want to make the decision. Does this update mean we won't see logic X for a while, or possibly there won't even be a logic x?

I wish apple would just say it's coming next month during ios5 launch.

Neglected? How do you work this out? Logic Studio is it's current form is an amazing collection of software.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
well that's handy.

But, like many other posters here, this just makes the think of Logic X.... and after the new final cut... I'm worried that Logic will get butchered... Only time will tell though!

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
BlackMangoTree, yes a great collection of software but neglected with information/updated and kept in touch. It's like a parents that never sees their kids and buys them off with big gifts once and a while. The audio community need's info on what's happening to know their input/feedback/suggestions has been heard. As i mentioned, FCX got a preview months before release...

diston

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Liverpool UK
Logic X

Yeah certainly looking forward to Logic X....the cloud angle interests me, working on collaborative projects from different locations...also wondering whether we'll be able to strum and beat virtual instruments on our magic mice and trackpads like Garageband iPad?
Final Cut X is a work in progress, just needs a couple of added utilities to keep the whining 'pros' at bay...I'm glad they've filleted out all the leftover Macromedia tabbed window, semi-hidden function ******** which Adobe have failed to excise from Dreamweaver...i think overall Apple have actually got FCP X right overall...they just released it a tad undercooked...

deuce sluice

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011

The only difference between Express and Pro are missing AU's, helper programs like MainStage and Compressor, surround mixing, included Jam Packs, and TDM capability. The program itself is exactly the same.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I can't see Logic 10/X being a rewrite like FCP X. Logic was re-written from the ground up from version 8 upwards, which happened a couple of years ago. Also included a new UI.

UI might be improved, but not by much. Apple have pretty much neglected Logic for a few years now, so I wont expect much.

Ptit

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
moon
dont update guys, its worse

for example, copying between sessions open at the same time will CRASH, the folders or regions will not copy the audio inside in sync, saving then alters the files when re opening, list goes on

been working with Logic for 15 years, since v2, this is a mess, apple is about to sabotage this app like it did FCP Studio where instead of boosting the speed up for FCP Studio they got themselves a new iMovie promising new young naive customers support for 3rd party plugs etc like the same way they did with v1 which brought about those functions and features later in the decade

Apple is about to grab it savings tighter then it ever did which means its downhill from here guys

----------

but Apple has so many shills your post will probably be hypocritically ignored, and no one trusts a hypocrite, worthless trash out there will sell their mothers for a ipad

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.

I think i sort of disagree with you. i wouldn't be able to get by without some of the fantastic plug ins that logic pro comes with, or the many options for quantization and the like. as well as the ability to have all kinds of windows floating around. i don't hate garagebhand, but i don't ever want to use it anymore because flex time took over the waveform editing. i use to be able to do amazing edits but garageband doesn't let me do them anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.