Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
When I open iPhoto it is not managing to load the pictures. It keeps trying to load the pictures but doesn't display anything, no warnings, nothing. I have iPhoto 4 with Panther on an iMac G5. I tried to reinstall it but nothing... Please help

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Try to start iPhoto while holding down Option and Shift (hold those keys and then click on it in the dock). If you have enough hard disk space, make a copy of the iPhoto library folder within ~/Pictures before you do this, just in case (but it should be safe).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mkrishnan said:
Try to start iPhoto while holding down Option and Shift (hold those keys and then click on it in the dock). If you have enough hard disk space, make a copy of the iPhoto library folder within ~/Pictures before you do this, just in case (but it should be safe).

Hey mkrishnan, what does this do? Does it open an app with the default preferences or something? I've never heard of this and it sounds pretty useful. Thanks. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, it sounds interesting, but I don't want to try it if it'll eff up my library. :eek:

Oh, and iPhoto 4 works fine for me after the 10.3.9 upgrade, except 1 picture that I know of won't load. Yes, one picture, but maybe there are more. I didn't check them all. Its the same problem as you: I click on the picture to go to EDIT mode, and the iPhoto screen goes white instead of showing my picture.

Also, Safari is screwed. When I go to some message boards, the smiley's aren't showing up in the correct positions on the screen. Some are even overlapping, while some images seem to be overflowing, as if they don't fit the rectangular "frame" they are supposed to fit.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
Hey mkrishnan, what does this do? Does it open an app with the default preferences or something? I've never heard of this and it sounds pretty useful. Thanks. :)

I tried to find it on Apple's site for a clearer explanation, and I found it might possibly be Command-Option and not Option-Shift. It's one of the two. On mine, it is Option-Shift, but in the Apple support base article for iPhoto 5, it says Option-Command. If it works, you should get a requester asking you to rebuild your library, and then it's supposed to remake the XML and .data files for your library, based on the pictures that are actually in there. Typically these files corrupting are what cause issues like this.

If this doesn't work, then the other possibility is that it is a corrupt preference file, which is usually resolved by trashing them. The only problem with this is that if you trash the plists, iPhoto might not know where your library is, and you may have to re-import it. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks mkrishnan, that's really cool. Do you reckon it'll work for other apps like iTunes? I'm not really game to try with an 800MHz processor and about 9000 songs. :p Not that it's really needed anyway...

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
If rebuilding your iPhoto library doesn't work use iPhoto Extractor to extract your photos then start from scratch. A bit of a bugger but at least you'll have your photos. Hopefully it won't get to that stage. Good luck!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
Thanks mkrishnan, that's really cool. Do you reckon it'll work for other apps like iTunes? I'm not really game to try with an 800MHz processor and about 9000 songs. :p Not that it's really needed anyway...

A couple of sites suggested that the way to do this in iTunes is to trash the library file, and then restart iTunes, but it seemed to get a lot less coverage, so I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.