Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
iViking
macrumors 6502

How to Migrate One Program from MBA to another MBA?

Hi,

I have MS Office installed on my MBA. I need to replace this MBA for a new one, and want to transport MS OFFICE to the new one so I don't have to re-enter the pass key as I only have one validation to use. (Can only be used on 1 machine).

I have heard of migration assistant but have never used it. Will it allow you to migrate one program over, rather than everything on one MBA to another? I only want to migrate the installed MS Office, nothing else.

If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thanks!
iViking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:29 AM   #2
iViking
macrumors 6502

Is this not possible?
iViking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:09 AM   #3
maka344
macrumors member

I would also like to know this as I have received my replacement MBA today and have Office 2011 installed on my faulty MBA
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Get carbon copy cloner it is free. You can clone the whole drive or copy individual directories.
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:56 AM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68030

When you use Migration Assistant, I believe that all of the applications are moved. I did not see how to select specific applications... but then I did not search for that function either (I wanted all of them). Most applications move seamlessly... some require a re-entry of the serial key. Microsoft Office is one of the few where you will still need to enter the key on the new machine.

I keep all of my software keys stored in my 1Password vault. One of the benefits of this is that when you migrate to a new machine, it is trivial to re-enter software keys with a couple of clicks. It beats trying to find the software boxes.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:01 AM   #6
maka344
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
When you use Migration Assistant, I believe that all of the applications are moved. I did not see how to select specific applications... but then I did not search for that function either (I wanted all of them). Most applications move seamlessly... some require a re-entry of the serial key. Microsoft Office is one of the few where you will still need to enter the key on the new machine.

I keep all of my software keys stored in my 1Password vault. One of the benefits of this is that when you migrate to a new machine, it is trivial to re-enter software keys with a couple of clicks. It beats trying to find the software boxes.

/Jim
That is good to know but how do you get around the product key already being used on the faulty machine?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:19 AM   #7
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by maka344 View Post
That is good to know but how do you get around the product key already being used on the faulty machine?
When I recently replaced one of my MBAs with a new one... I secure wiped the old MBA, returned it to Apple... then used the same MS Office key on my replacement MBA.

I never had any problem doing this. I buy all of my software, do not duplicate keys across multiple machines (beyond what is permitted by the license agreement)... and I replace my machines frequently.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:26 AM   #8
maka344
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
When I recently replaced one of my MBAs with a new one... I secure wiped the old MBA, returned it to Apple... then used the same MS Office key on my replacement MBA.

I never had any problem doing this. I buy all of my software, do not duplicate keys across multiple machines (beyond what is permitted by the license agreement)... and I replace my machines frequently.

/Jim
Some MS Office 2011 products allow two installs, I will have to check later and report back.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Epic Xbox Revie
macrumors 6502a

You can also use AirDrop if they both have Lion
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:54 AM   #10
deeddawg
macrumors 601

In my experience, if activation fails it's easy enough to call up the Microsoft activation hotline, explain the situation, and they give you an activation code. Just make it clear the other system was wiped and returned.

Unless you've tried it and Microsoft has told you "tough luck", I wouldn't worry about it.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:10 PM   #11
chazmink
macrumors member

I migrated everything including MS Office from my unibody MacBook to my new MBA 13 with no need for a code. Perfectly ethical since I the put a clean install on the old machine so am still only running one copy. Actually, I think you can install on a desktop AND laptop.
chazmink is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air