Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in June, Apple began work on a $6.6 million upgrade of the plaza and glass cube at its iconic flagship retail store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Barriers surrounding the plaza and the glass cube itself quickly went up, with customers continuing to access the store through a covered passageway leading to the main entrance. At the time the work began, planning documents revealed that Apple would be removing the glass cube and working on drainage, pavers, and bollards on the plaza, but it was unclear just what changes Apple would be making to the cube itself.

Apple has now revealed its plans for the cube with a new informational sign posted on the barrier surrounding the plaza, showing that the company is completely replacing the cube's glass panels with new, larger panels that will also be "seamless" for a cleaner appearance.
We're simplifying the Fifth Avenue cube. By using larger, seamless pieces of glass, we're using just 15 panes instead of 90.
According to the diagram of the new cube, Apple will be using three glass panes per side of the cube (plus the top), with each side pane stretching the entire height of the cube.

Apple last year filed for a trademark on the original design of the Fifth Avenue store's cube, seeking to protect what was recently ranked as one of the most-photographed sites in Manhattan based on a study of geotagged photos posted to Flickr and Picasa.

Thanks, Vincent!

Article Link: Apple Reveals Fifth Avenue Cube Plans: Larger, Seamless Glass Panes

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very interesting. I was there on opening day. I wonder what useful improvements will be made over the cosmetic ones... :)

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Like how they treat the cube like it's just another Apple product. When can I buy mine?

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I was hoping that it would be one glass panel per side, but three will look really nice still I guess.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is nice to see something from Apple before it is officially unveiled. I wish they did this with some of their products too ;) .

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very interesting. I was there on opening day. I wonder what useful improvements will be made over the cosmetic ones... :)

It will be much snappier™.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
It is nice to see something from Apple before it is officially unveiled. I wish they did this with some of their products too ;) .

It will be much snappier™.

They were probably legally required to. Most constructions sites in NYC have these panes explaining what the purpose of the work is.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
They were probably legally required to. Most constructions sites in NYC have these panes explaining what the purpose of the work is.

True,

Though that requirement most likely stipulates that they provide blueprints and documentation in some kind of legal form, not a mural sized 3d graphic. :) .

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
FFS, who really cares?
There is Mac rumors..and there is Apple obsessive..it is just the fabric of a high street retail outlet for God's sake !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.