Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hello All,

I just registered at this forum and here's my quick first question-

I am exploring my options to buy a used Macbook. I observed several deals on craigslist featuring MBPs preloaded with applications like Photoshop CS5 and Office 2011. Now I wish to know whether such deals and applications are genuine? I mean why would somebody wish to give away the licence of applications which are almost equal to the cost of the hardware itself? Can't they simply transfer the licences to their newer notebooks?

Also, if I buy such preloaded notebook, I would want to replace its existing HDD with an SSD. In that case, what would happen of those licences?

thanks in advance :)
hrishi

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
If they don't provide you with real product install disks and keys then no, it isn't real and they are pirating the apps.

hrishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for your quick replies. So its indeed too good to be true!

I have a few more questions to ask, but I'll first go through the forums ;)

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Pirated. HOWEVER, they could also have bought the software via download and the company provided them with a serial key. I know this can be done with Office for Mac and Windows 7 because, well, that is from personal experience. But, no serial? Then, it's pirated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.