Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

optimumiphoneapp1.jpg

Cablevision has released a new app to complement its existing Optimum for iPad offering. The app expands live TV viewing to iPhones and iPod touches, and allows its cable customers to use their iPhone as a television remote as well.
Cablevision customers can now enjoy more than 300 channels of live TV and thousands of titles of video on demand (VOD) on all three devices, in addition to DVR management, interactive guide information and search. And, for the first time, customers can use the app on all three devices as a virtual remote control for conventional TVs in the home, maximizing its value as a discovery and navigation tool.
The app does require authentication to use, but it doesn't work across the Internet. It allows users to watch live TV and video-on-demand only when connected to an Optimum Internet connection.

Cablevision is dealing with a lawsuit from Viacom over what the latter company calls "unauthorized streaming of its programming" on mobile devices.

Article Link: Cablevision Releases Optimum App For iPhone and iPod Touch

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Hopefully Time Warner will do the same. Question for anyone who has any of these cable apps...does airplay work/ is it enabled with them? I don't have a cable box in my room, so I don't get the HD and digital channels. If airplay were enabled, this would basically replace the cable box.

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
Hopefully Time Warner will do the same. Question for anyone who has any of these cable apps...does airplay work/ is it enabled with them? I don't have a cable box in my room, so I don't get the HD and digital channels. If airplay were enabled, this would basically replace the cable box.

not even HDMI out on iPad

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Great! One thing i have been wondering is if it is possible to watch it over 3g if you're jailbroken. Does the app just use regular internet but just doesn't allow it on other wifi networks and cellular networks or doesn't it actually require something that only your home internet can give?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Great! One thing i have been wondering is if it is possible to watch it over 3g if you're jailbroken. Does the app just use regular internet but just doesn't allow it on other wifi networks and cellular networks or doesn't it actually require something that only your home internet can give?

"Requires optimum provided modem". This likely means you either can only use it on your home network, or on another network on Optimum. The modem probably just redirects traffic from the app to your cable box and back, at least based on how I'm reading it.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Verizon FIOS lags behind

I love the speed of my FIOS internet and picture quality, but now they are lagging behind the cable guys with their iOS apps.

Verizon FIOS has two apps but it allows control of DVR and remote and guide. Possibly VOD but not my content or live TV. It is a shame.

Add to that the lack of free wifi in their service areas. The Verizon staff can piggy back on my FIOS wireless without permission yet they offer no public hot spot off their hardware.

An industry that needs some shaking up to get all of the carriers aligned better.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Ends the Jealousy between your iPhone and iPad

This update also adds a soft remote allowing control of your cable box from your iPhone.
Before this update, I'd gone through the tedious procedure of allowing the iPad only version to install on iPhone, it's nice that Cablevision decided to allow live tv viewing on smaller devices.

techievega

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Update Needed

Expanding TV viewing capabilities to iPhone and iPad is great, but I find this ability to be much more appreciated when I can actually leave the house and watch TV on my mobile devices. DISH Network gave me a VIP 922 receiver with Sling Loaded remote viewing to test out last year. So since last year I've been able to relay all of the programming I'm subscribed to and full DVR recordings onto my Smartphone, my iPad and my laptop. I can be literally anywhere (not trapped at home) and as long as there's Wi-Fi or mobile 3G Network I'm good to watch what I please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.