Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
bigdrizzle13
macrumors newbie

Set up for Time Machine. Ubuntu Server? Partition?

Long time reader, first time poster. I just bought the 2011 air, my first mac ever. Could not like it more. It is not only the best computer I have ever owned, but probably the best product of any kind I have ever owned. I didn't know where to post this, so I put it in here.

I am thinking about setting up a Time Machine back up. The wireless setup that Apple offers does seem enticing and cool, but I don't need to spend that much money.

The current set up in my home is this. An ubuntu server with plenty of HD space on it with an external HDD with even more space on it. I could not find anything online about whether or not this ubuntu machine could use its own HD or its external HD to serve as a time machine back up. Obviously, I could unplug the HD and hook my air up to it, but ideally my mac would back up wirelessly through the ubuntu server. Also, is it possible to use the space on either of the HD's without partitioning them? Can Time Machine backup to a server not on the home network (ie could i back up to the server from work)? Could I back up to another mac that is not on my own network?

Although it would be pretty nice to get a wireless back up setup working, it isn't worth spending hours and hours on it for me. I'd rather just have to manually plug my air into the ExHDD every few days and do it that way than spend an entire saturday trying to get it set up.

Thanks for the help!
bigdrizzle13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Jagardn
macrumors 6502a

Here is something you can try. I've personally not tried it though.
http://rajeev.name/2007/11/03/time-m...nd-nfs-shares/

I bought a Time Capsule, it cost me $300, but it just worked out of the box. Sometimes the hassles just aren't worth It, especially with backups of my data.
Jagardn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help