Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I'm currently on OSX Lion and decided one night to do a boot camp partition and install Windows 7. As I was installing Windows 7, it returned an error so I rebooted it but now I can't boot into my original OSX, the apple logo does not show up either. Nothing happens when I try to boot into safe mode/external or cd and instead just hangs on the gray screen for a while and goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I've googled and googled and can't seem to find a solution.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm currently on OSX Lion and decided one night to do a boot camp partition and install Windows 7. As I was installing Windows 7, it returned an error so I rebooted it but now I can't boot into my original OSX, the apple logo does not show up either. Nothing happens when I try to boot into safe mode/external or cd and instead just hangs on the gray screen for a while and goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Your experience is one example why I don't bother with boot camp or parallels. I don't want to take the chance win 7 runs roughshod over my mac hdd. I'm not saying win 7 did this to you but it's likely the culprit. The thing that throws me off is you can't boot from cd either. Try holding option from power off past the startup sound until you see some drive icons. Pick the dvd and boot from it. If this works, just stop as Snow Leopard doesn't know how to handle the Lion recovery partiton. You might be able to get a bootable Lion usb stick from Applecare. Once you get Lion back up and running, use disk utility to resize your partition and make a new one for windows using disk utility before you try installing windows.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Did you backup with Timemachine? If so, just do a restore from Timemachine using the Recovery Disk Assistant. Press the option button at boot to select it.

Your experience is one example why I don't bother with boot camp or parallels. I don't want to take the chance win 7 runs roughshod over my mac hdd. I'm not saying win 7 did this to you but it's likely the culprit.

Don't see why you feel that way about Parallels. I think Bootcamp is pure trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.