Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1
treestar
macrumors 6502

I have installed Lion without an Apple ID

I have installed Lion on two of my Macs without registering or entering an Apple ID. At least once I installed on a new partition without SL. My version of Lion came from the App store. How many times will this be possible? There has been a lot of chatter that Lion can be installed on up to 5 systems with the same Apple ID, but I have done so without my Apple ID (unless it is unknowingly tied to my copy of the Lion installer). Does this indicate an opportunity to distribute a single copy of Lion to a limitless number of systems?

treestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Cozmo85
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestar View Post
I have installed Lion on two of my Macs without registering or entering an Apple ID. At least once I installed on a new partition without SL. My version of Lion came from the App store. How many times will this be possible? There has been a lot of chatter that Lion can be installed on up to 5 systems with the same Apple ID, but I have done so without my Apple ID (unless it is unknowingly tied to my copy of the Lion installer). Does this indicate an opportunity to distribute a single copy of Lion to a limitless number of systems?

You are allowed to install Lion on as many machines as you own.
Cozmo85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Clark Kent
macrumors member

No different than any version of Mac OS. You could install it on any number of systems, but that doesn't give you the right to do so.
Clark Kent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:46 PM   #4
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a

The only thing keeping you from doing that is the honor system. Same as every OS X release in the past.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:48 PM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

You will need your Apple ID & wifi/ethernet connection if you want to reinstall new from the Recovery Disk Assistant.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:49 PM   #6
treestar
macrumors 6502

Ahh, very well. I haven't installed OS X on my own before now. I didn't know the rules were so easily broken. It's surprising.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Intell
macrumors P6

Lion installations get counted when you download Lion from the App Store. The App Store send your Mac's UUID to Apple's servers and ties the purchase of Lion to your Apple ID. It will then increment the purchases or downloads of Lion by one for every new UUID that get tied to your Apple ID. Of course, you can burn the Install_ESD to a disc or use the Lion Reinstallation Utility to bypass this restriction.

The feat of getting past the screen where Lion requests your Apple ID upon installation isn't that hard. All you do is press Command+Q and click Skip. Its been like this since 10.4.0.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:01 AM   #8
treestar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Lion installations get counted when you download Lion from the App Store. The App Store send your Mac's UUID to Apple's servers and ties the purchase of Lion to your Apple ID. It will then increment the purchases or downloads of Lion by one for every new UUID that get tied to your Apple ID. Of course, you can burn the Install_ESD to a disc or use the Lion Reinstallation Utility to bypass this restriction.

The feat of getting past the screen where Lion requests your Apple ID upon installation isn't that hard. All you do is press Command+Q and click Skip. Its been like this since 10.4.0.
For the sake of providing information for others on this forum, I downloaded Lion with my free Lion upgrade from the App store. I followed MacRumors instructions on creating a Lion install disc on a DVD, I made a USB install disk with Lion DiskMaker, and I've updated from SL using the Apple Lion Installer saved on a Windows network share.

"[G]etting past the screen" was even easier than that: I just hit next without entering information and continue and it finished the installation.

Lion installs fine with the full ESD on a USB disk to a clean partition.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post

Not even remotely accurate. It doesn't track your "purchases or downloads" of Lion. Mostly because there's no restriction in the first place. There's no 5 computer limit. There's no limit on the number of times you can install it, or download it. You never have to enter an Apple ID at startup, you can simply hit continue without entering it and it will proceed to the next step, it's only used for registering the computer for warranty purposes.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion