Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Sorry if this has been covered before.... Has there been any talk of Apple thinking about having a docking station for the PowerBook in any of the next revisions? I know you can get 3rd party docking stations, but an "official" one would be nice (plus the 3rd party one doesn't really cover ALL the ports, like the ones on the side of the PB).

It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have some sort of docking solution on what is supposed to be a "professional" machine.

Thoughts?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Docking Station for Powerbook?

Originally posted by losfp
Sorry if this has been covered before.... Has there been any talk of Apple thinking about having a docking station for the PowerBook in any of the next revisions? I know you can get 3rd party docking stations, but an "official" one would be nice (plus the 3rd party one doesn't really cover ALL the ports, like the ones on the side of the PB).

It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have some sort of docking solution on what is supposed to be a "professional" machine.

Thoughts?
From picturing this in my head i think it would be too difficult. getting the side power adapter port and sound jack port would be hard. the only was i can think of it being possible is if the docking station had sides and came out, and when you pluged your powerbook into the back ports the side comes in and clamps in. just my opinion though, remember i am picturing this in my head and im not looking at my dads pb right now.

iJon

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
That's exactly my point. The 3rd party docking stations essentially have plugs that go into the existing ports with them duplicated on the back - the side ports are impossible to do without a side-bracket thingie. This is an unwieldy solution at best.

Most PC notebooks have a connector that covers all the ports. You slide the laptop into the dock - into the ONE connector and it replicates all the ports in the back of the dock. Just strikes me as a bit unusual that Apple haven't designed the PB around that concept - surely there are many computing pros who have a workstation at a desk (monitor, keyboard, network, mouse, printer, USB & Firewire peripherals plugged in) but would like the flexibility of being able to pick their machine up and go without having to bother with 8 things that are plugged in.

You COULD use an Apple display as a sort of quasi-dock, but that still doesn't cover the lot.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i imagine slidding it in and out of a docking station would make it scratch in certain areas very quickly.... however, i have seen some 3rd party docking stations advertised... look around if you are interested.

why would you need one, anyway? you just plug in your monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and whatever else you need... it's not like you need to spend 100+ dollars so this is all done in one or 2 motions... is it? oh wait, i am talking to powerbook users... LOL sorry, hopefully the new revision will be "dock station friendly"

losfp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Well obviously I'm thinking future revision here :) Would be a bit hard to implement it in the current design, probably.

It would be a "nice to have" option. Not everyone would need or want one, but I wouldn't mind having one. Monitor, power, keyboard (with mouse attached), speakers, line-in, USB card readers, Firewire drives etc etc... They start adding up and it would be NICE to avoid handling all the plugs twice a day.

I guess we'll see (january? hoping for too much? :D)

out of interest - have ANY of Apple's previous notebook computers ever featured a docking station?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.