Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
HELP!!

Trying to install Windows XP Professional via Bootcamp on the new 2011 iMac that came equipped with Lion (no OSX discs).

So I ran Boot Camp Assistant which had me download the proper Bootcamp Drivers before I partitioned the drive and ran the installation. I put the downloaded bootcamp files right on a USB drive and proceeded to install windows.

Booted up Windows and copied all files from the USB onto the windows desktop. When I go to run BootCamp installation it says it requires Windows 7.

I tried unpacking and installing each individual driver they gave me but half of the drivers do not work.

So basically I have Windows XP Professional installed without much driver support, including and most importantly not having the Network Controller work, so no internet.

So now I'm on the OSX side seeking help.

Is Windows XP Pro too old to run on bootcamp with Lion?

Thanks,
Franky

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Apple only support Windows 7 on Bootcamp, so the drivers you downloaded are not design to work in XP. It has been this way since I 1st got into mac over a year ago.

You can run Windows XP Professional in virtualization using Parallel or VMware Fusion.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's the only version of windows I have cause I had an official vista copy but used the serial too many times and microsoft wants more money to renew the license those scumbags! lol

I am only using Windows for gaming purpses, wil VMware or Parallels be okay for gaming or will they drag the franerates down?

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Depend on what kind of games, but generally 3d games don't work well due to limitation of virtualization software and mobile GPU in the imac.

You can download trial version of both Parallel and VM Fusion to try it out.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I mean I realize Windows XP is over then years old now...but it's all I got and I don't want to give Microsoft a dime more for another Windows!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Your school might have discounted windows.

Or your business might have "windows corporate".

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I will say this, I am not sure why so many people are claiming they cannot install XP on their macs with Lion.

It's simple, and I have done it.

Start bootcamp, bypass the downloading of the drivers (cause you need the older ones anyway, which are on Apple's website).

When it asks to setup the partition, do so, just like normal.

At the end, choose to to restart the computer on your own, not putting in a windows 7 disc and choosing restart.

Restart your computer manually, with the XP disc in.

At boot, hold down your Option key, choose Windows (the disc or the drive, can't remember which one shows up).

Install as you normally would.

Once done, you will need to do a search for the older bootcamp drivers. I think I needed to get 3.0 first, then keep upgrading for some reason to get to 3.3.

4.0 is Lion, which I don't think will work.

The trick I have been having hell with is trying to make the Fat32 partition smaller while making the HFS+ main mac partition bigger. I don't need a 20gb fat32 partition, since XP is small enough to run on 10gb (all I really wanna do is play old school counterstrike in XP, cause it is so smooth on my mac mini). Gparted won't allo me to make my fat32 smaller and increase the HFS+ partition, mainly i think because of the new recovery partition Lion installs. Complicated.

See, I have an 80gb intel ssd, so every GB is accounted for, and 20gb for XP is just too much.

Enjoy

Sendergreen

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Southern Utah
knemonic, forgive me if this is something that someone has already covered, but your solution gives me hope.

I am a brand new Mac user, so I admit that I'm pretty ignorant to a lot of things "Mac." I need to use XP so that I can run an older version of AutoCAD Architectural Desktop (the architect that I work for refuses to upgrade), so I've already partitioned some space and installed XP. I am now finding that I have no Internet connectivity, and obviously most of my drivers are unrecognized. I need to be able to get onto the Internet while using XP so that I can email files to my office while I'm away.... soooo......

do you have any idea where I can find the 3.0 (and so on) drivers? I'm worried that I've messed something up, and want to believe that there is hope.

Thanks,
Jake

I will say this, I am not sure why so many people are claiming they cannot install XP on their macs with Lion.

Start bootcamp, bypass the downloading of the drivers (cause you need the older ones anyway, which are on Apple's website).

At the end, choose to to restart the computer on your own, not putting in a windows 7 disc and choosing restart.

At boot, hold down your Option key, choose Windows (the disc or the drive, can't remember which one shows up).

Once done, you will need to do a search for the older bootcamp drivers. I think I needed to get 3.0 first, then keep upgrading for some reason to get to 3.3.

The trick I have been having hell with is trying to make the Fat32 partition smaller while making the HFS+ main mac partition bigger. I don't need a 20gb fat32 partition, since XP is small enough to run on 10gb (all I really wanna do is play old school counterstrike in XP, cause it is so smooth on my mac mini). Gparted won't allo me to make my fat32 smaller and increase the HFS+ partition, mainly i think because of the new recovery partition Lion installs. Complicated.

See, I have an 80gb intel ssd, so every GB is accounted for, and 20gb for XP is just too much.

Enjoy

Veryold

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
HELP!!

Trying to install Windows XP Professional via Bootcamp on the new 2011 iMac that came equipped with Lion (no OSX discs).

So I ran Boot Camp Assistant which had me download the proper Bootcamp Drivers before I partitioned the drive and ran the installation. I put the downloaded bootcamp files right on a USB drive and proceeded to install windows.

Booted up Windows and copied all files from the USB onto the windows desktop. When I go to run BootCamp installation it says it requires Windows 7.

I tried unpacking and installing each individual driver they gave me but half of the drivers do not work.

So basically I have Windows XP Professional installed without much driver support, including and most importantly not having the Network Controller work, so no internet.

So now I'm on the OSX side seeking help.

Is Windows XP Pro too old to run on bootcamp with Lion?

Thanks,
Franky

I think the problem maybe to do with the sandybridge i macs.
Mine came with Snow Leopard and a free Lion upgrade which I have not yet used. I partitioned using Bootcamp in the applications and then loaded XP.
The disc supplied (version3.2) however was no good and came up with not W7. This disc only contains drivers for XP.
I manage to download bootcamp 3 from a torrent and ran that but but there were numerous yellows in device manager. I moved the drivers from the3.2 disc over and installed some of them that worked.
Drivers for the graphics 6750 M do not seem to be available but the generic drivers are not too bad. I can not get the ethernet or wifi to work so no internet. I put the drivers from version 3 over and have tried all the drivers numerous times without success.
The Ethernet BCM5701 and the Airport Atheros 9380 do not work.
Would be interested to learn if you crack this problem.
Is there anybody out there who has installed XP on a sandybridge i mac?
I believe it can be done OK on older i macs running Lion but the sandybridge wouls seem to present problems.

catroom

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
After installing Win XP, eject the CD and install the 3.x Bootcamp drivers with the Snow Leopard grey disk that came with your computer. The Apple software updater will tell you to update with Bootcamp 3.2 if you need to, depending on which version of Snow Leopard was on your grey disk. That’s it!

egaille

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Hi,
I have an imac 27" core I5 with radeon HD6770M graphics adapter.
I managed to install XP and all my peripherals.
I have made an archive with the drivers i used, suitable for imac based on Sandy Bridge under Windows XP
http://egaille.free.fr/imac27

support for :
chipset sandy bridge
Radeon 6770M
wifi
audio
hdmi audio
facetime Camera HD
firewire 800 (1394B)
ethernet

-

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008

Enjoy

How exactly does this work? When you get to the part where you say to manual reboot all you have done is slide the slider around to designate how much space you want to give the windows partition right? Only two options you have to hit is either "Back" or "Install"

So restarting at this point will you not just destroy whatever you have done, its not like you set a partition up yet.. all you do is just move the slider. No?

wildwood

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Sandy Bridge Driver

Hi,
I have an imac 27" core I5 with radeon HD6770M graphics adapter.
I managed to install XP and all my peripherals.
I have made an archive with the drivers i used, suitable for imac based on Sandy Bridge under Windows XP
http://egaille.free.fr/imac27

support for :
chipset sandy bridge
Radeon 6770M
wifi
audio
hdmi audio
facetime Camera HD
firewire 800 (1394B)
ethernet

-

Following your advice ... good so far, XP running on new iMac 21.5
Can you tell me how / where I activate the SandyBridge driver you have supplied? What device is this driver associate with?
Thanks
David

egaille

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Following your advice ... good so far, XP running on new iMac 21.5
Can you tell me how / where I activate the SandyBridge driver you have supplied? What device is this driver associate with?
Thanks
David

You just install this driver, and it replaces initial windows drivers. you don't need to do anything more: just dble click on the sandy bridge driver and install

adamcd

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
crossover

I am only using Windows for gaming purpses, wil VMware or Parallels be okay for gaming or will they drag the franerates down?

Why don't you try the trial of Codeweaver's Crossover Games and see if you like it to play windows games on

DrTre

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
I concur

and Approve

Enjoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.