Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I am just looking to upgrade my 18-55mm that came with my xsi so I just wanted to know what everyone uses for there everyday lens.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I am just looking to upgrade my 18-55mm that came with my xsi so I just wanted to know what everyone uses for there everyday lens.

It really depends on what sort of photo's you enjoy taking.

For me at the moment I am taking a lot of photo's of my friends at parties/gatherings etc. and I have found that my 11-16mm f2.8 Tokina is stuck on the front most of the time and mixed with the 430exii flash I am really liking the results especially since I can still manage to get everyone in cooped into a small kitchen!

That being said I went on holiday last week to the sea in Devon and I found that I took many more pictures with my 50mm f1.8 as I liked the shallow depth of field and lack of distortion which the Tokina wouldn't have given me.

If you are not sure what you want your next lens to be I would suggest you put a piece of paper and a pen in your top pocket. When you reach a limit in your photography for example, can't get enough light, too wide, too tight, not enough depth of field, too much depth of field. Write it down so that at the end of a day you can figure out where your current lens is letting you down.

I don't know whether you use Aperture or Lightroom but there are some great sorting pictures that will show you at what mm you took each photo. This should give you an indication of where you are most comfortable using your 18-55mm and you might want to think about getting a nice quality prime lens with a similar field of view.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
15-85 that is the kit lens for the 7D. Really good step up from the 18-55 without going insane. Outstanding quality and great for video as well.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Pentax K20D with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-IS/VR/SR... I have in-body shake reduction so this was the perfect choice since it's much sharper than the version with IS/VR/SR...

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
see my sig. that's my everyday lens.

How do you like the 24-105 f4L? I'm thinking of upgrading my 18-55mm kit lens from my Canon T3i to that. I really wanted an L type lens with USM and IS and it seems like that's the only standard zoom version available... I'm debating between the 24-105 f4L or the 16-55 f2.8 IS USM (which is not an L type, but not sure how much better an L type lens is).

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
How do you like the 24-105 f4L? I'm thinking of upgrading my 18-55mm kit lens from my Canon T3i to that. I really wanted an L type lens with USM and IS and it seems like that's the only standard zoom version available... I'm debating between the 24-105 f4L or the 16-55 f2.8 IS USM (which is not an L type, but not sure how much better an L type lens is).

go along to a retailer and try the lens on your camera, take some test shots,
I switch between the 24-105mm and the 17-40mm depending on the subject, but on my 5D2 both lenses are sharp, only issue with the 24-105 is slight distortion at 24mm, but thats to be expected on full frame, see what the main distance you usually shoot at, do you need 105mm, or will 55mm do you? do you want f2.8 or will f4 work for you? but do try one on your camera first, fire off a few test shots, after all, it is a fair chunk of money you will be spending here. :)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8G ED. It's a wonderful lens for nearly all purposes. Even tried it with an adaptor on a Sony NXCam HD video camera with superb results.

Just shows the value of a great lens.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

My everyday lens is the Canon 24-105L but I shoot full frame. If I'd kept my XSi I would have upgraded to the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

I really enjoy the 24-105 on my 5D II (full frame). I can get some wide angle shots, use the 70-100mm range for some decent bokeh effect on portrait like photos. So for me it stays on the camera for a majority of the time. I will use my 17-40mm f/4L for some wide angle use especially if I want to capture foreground subjects with distant scenery. I do have a longer zoom lens that I will use for sports and action shots. But as I said for the vast majority of walking around use it's the 24-105. You will have to factor in the 1.6 crop factor on your T3i so you will loose some of the wide angle range but gain on the telephoto side, obviously. Tough choices when picking lenses. But if you can afford it definitely go with an L lens. Maybe try renting a 24-105 and use it for a few days to see if you like it or it meets your needs. Remember, should you ever go to a FF camera in the future the 24-105 will always serve a purpose, whereas, an EF-S lens will be useless.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I have a Nikon D90 and as it has a crop sensor I go with a Sigma 30/1.4, if I had a full frame sensor then I'd go with a 50/1.4. You just can't beat a prime lens for everyday use.

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008

Tokina 11-16 here. Fantastic lens and my photography most certainly came along way with it. Has to be used with care though - need to work with the distortion at the extreme edges.

But it really depends where you are taking your photography - if it's motorsport then you won't want a UWA like the Tokina.

Having said all that, might be looking for a 18-55 alternative for a project next year. The Tokina won't do the job I want, and the 24-70 Sigma I have is too long.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Pentax K20D with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-IS/VR/SR... I have in-body shake reduction so this was the perfect choice since it's much sharper than the version with IS/VR/SR...

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC is also my drug of choice, only on the Canon EF mount for my T2i. It really is an amazing value for a lens. With the fast aperture, I rarely find myself missing the stabilization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.