Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
As you can see in my post below I recently bought an imac g3 snow running Tiger, I changed all of the info I needed for the account, but I cannot figure out how to change the Short Name, any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Zach

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
somebody can correct me if im wrong, but i believe the only way is through the terminal........ google "changing short name in tiger"

hope it helps!

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
There is actually an app called ChangeShortName, and it works great on Tiger - I've used it in 2 machines. It will work in 10.4 and earlier, but not 10.5.

Supposedly you can change the short name in Leopard right in the User Account in System Preferences, but after trying it a whole bunch of different ways, it doesn't work. I wind up with a fresh Mac and no access to my things until I change it back to exactly what it was.

Actually, in Leopard, I totally reinstalled the OS, and restored all my files from a Time Machine Backup. I used a new short name, and had no problems with anything.

Anyhow, yes, that app does just what it should in Tiger. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.