Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Closes As The Most Valuable Company In the World

Apple passed ExxonMobil as the most-valuable publicly traded company several times yesterday, but ExxonMobil ended the day ahead of Apple. Both companies' stock prices were down today, but XOM fell quite a bit farther, making Apple the most valuable public company in the world.

Apple closed the day at $363.49, with a market cap of $337.17 billion. Exxon Mobil ended at $68.03, with the company valued at $330.88 billion.

Apple might be worth more than Exxon Mobil, but XOM remains a much bigger company. Exxon made $10.7 billion in profit on $121.4 billion in revenue in the June quarter with 83,600 employees.

Apple made $7.3 billion on $28.6 billion in revenue with 46,600 employees last quarter.

Article Link: Apple Closes As The Most Valuable Company In the World
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:15 PM   #2
King Flamez1
macrumors regular

i wanna work for apple.

anyone think i could get in, even though I'm still in high school?
King Flamez1 is offline   -35 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
bmms8
macrumors 68020

more than 25% profit on sales. thats incredible.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:16 PM   #4
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Wish I'd bought shares 15 years ago..!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:16 PM   #5
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Flamez1 View Post
i wanna work for apple.

No, unless you are a senior and at least 18.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:16 PM   #6
sunspot42
macrumors regular

Congrats, Steve!

Business comeback story of the century.
sunspot42 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Consultant
macrumors G5

Finally, innovation prevails!
Consultant is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:18 PM   #8
MBP13
macrumors 6502

I should really buy Apple stock!
MBP13 is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Flamez1 View Post
i wanna work for apple.

Out of the 6 major firms I have worked for, Apple was right in the middle with pay. Not paid well, not paid enough, but close.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:19 PM   #10
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a

That's all very nice but what will it bring to humble users like me? I don't own Apple stock, just buy their stuff. It's about time Apple starts doing some good with that $76 billion stock pile of cash. Good for humanity, expensive trinkets don't fill children's empty bellies.
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
GoodWatch is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple might be worth more than Exxon Mobil, but XOM remains a much bigger company. Exxon made $10.7 billion in profit on $121.4 billion in revenue in the June quarter with 83,600 employees.

Apple made $7.3 billion on $28.6 billion in revenue with 46,600 employees last quarter.
I wonder how much more profit/revenue Apple would make if Apple was given the same tax incentives that oil companies are given....
Surely is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:21 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Finally, innovation prevails!
Apple is not the only innovative company nor are other companies successful by sheer luck...They all climbed their way to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I wonder how much more profit/revenue Apple would make if Apple was given the same tax incentives that oil companies are given....
I wonder how much less Apple would make if those subsidies went away, the cost of doing business/manufacturing increased which leads to more expensive computers and more than likely less sales as a result
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
Wish I'd bought shares 15 years ago..!
Yeah, I wish I did a lot of things 15 years ago.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:22 PM   #14
dreamworks21
macrumors newbie

When reached for comment, Steve Jobs said "yep".
dreamworks21 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:23 PM   #15
thetexan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmms8 View Post
more than 25% profit on sales. thats incredible.
Yet oil doesn't even break 10% on average and they're blasted by some people as greedy companies.
thetexan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:24 PM   #16
addicted44
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWatch View Post
That's all very nice but what will it bring to humble users like me? I don't own Apple stock, just buy their stuff. It's about time Apple starts doing some good with that $76 billion stock pile of cash. Good for humanity, expensive trinkets don't fill children's empty bellies.
Actually, yes they do...

I wish people understood a little bit about basic economics before spouting off righteous crap.

Apple's success probably feeds more empty bellies than all the charities in the US combined. By producing these products, there are millions of people who gain a livelihood (directly employed by Apple, employed by contractors, providing services (like restaurants) to these people, the vast number of people employed by adjunct businesses like accessories, and repairs, etc...).

The cash isn't just sitting around (I doubt even a few of those $76Bn are in paper currency form). It is invested in a variety of financial instruments across the world.
addicted44 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I wonder how much less Apple would make if those subsidies went away, the cost of doing business/manufacturing increased which leads to more expensive computers and more than likely less sales as a result
Well, that too....
Surely is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:26 PM   #18
FriarNurgle
macrumors regular

Wish I made enough money to afford investments.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:26 PM   #19
addicted44
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexan View Post
Yet oil doesn't even break 10% on average and they're blasted by some people as greedy companies.
Because they have massive monopolies, minimal risks, and massive demand? This is a basic supply and demand story.

Again, spouting righteous crap without knowing financial basics, but from the other side this time...

And I bet a significantly larger number of people are calling Apple greedy (and pointing out to the $76Bn net assets) than calling oil people greedy. What they do call oil people are folks spending millions to buy political leaders so they don't have to bear the costs of the negative externalities their industry imposes on others, and spending millions to fudge basic science.
addicted44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:28 PM   #20
C00rDiNaT0r
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to C00rDiNaT0r Send a message via MSN to C00rDiNaT0r
Which will be more exciting news, when Apple makes more profit or revenue than Exxon?

I don't think it will be too hard for Apple to make more profit than Exxon in the next few years as they expand to countries like China.
C00rDiNaT0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
And I bet a significantly larger number of people are calling Apple greedy (and pointing out to the $76Bn net assets) than calling oil people greedy. What they do call oil people are folks spending millions to buy political leaders so they don't have to bear the costs of the negative externalities their industry imposes on others, and spending millions to fudge basic science.
You are pretty naive if you think that's the case. It's the complete opposite.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 PM   #22
Man9z0r
macrumors regular

This doesn't come as a surprise to me. As we are becoming a people who are looking to be more fuel efficient and more and more companies are trying to make cars that use less of it of course they are not going to be on top forever. If not today it would of happened soon enough.

While technology is only getting bigger and bigger.
Man9z0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 PM   #23
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexan View Post
Yet Microsoft get 32% in the last quarter and are declared DEAD.
OllyW is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 PM   #24
BeauPaul
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
Actually, yes they do...

I wish people understood a little bit about basic economics before spouting off righteous crap.

Apple's success probably feeds more empty bellies than all the charities in the US combined. By producing these products, there are millions of people who gain a livelihood (directly employed by Apple, employed by contractors, providing services (like restaurants) to these people, the vast number of people employed by adjunct businesses like accessories, and repairs, etc...).

The cash isn't just sitting around (I doubt even a few of those $76Bn are in paper currency form). It is invested in a variety of financial instruments across the world.
Don't bother trying to explain, now these people are attacking their own! Apple is a big liberal company that has become the richest company in the world! Now these people attack them for capitalism. Too Funny!
BeauPaul is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:34 PM   #25
sbradfo
macrumors newbie

at the Gartner Symposium and ITxpo97 here today, the CEO of competitor Dell Computer added his voice to the chorus when asked what could be done to fix the Mac maker. His solution was a drastic one.

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," Michael Dell said before a crowd of several thousand IT executives.

Steve J. .... Mike Dell ?
Mike D. ... yes
Steve J. .... suck it !!
sbradfo is offline   10 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion