Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Well I'm just curious on how pictures look from other peoples iPads, I searched and couldn't find a thread for pictures from the iPad, so hopefully there isn't already one!

Anyway, my mom just recently bought a white 16gb iPad 2 Wifi, and the pictures taken with the rear camera look HORRIBLE, they look all grainy and not clear at all, the resolution when I send them to the computer is 960x720 so that's normal I think, I feel like something is wrong with the camera, so I'd like to compare to others!

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the camera, but I thought it would be at least a little better than this!

Attachments

• ipad 2 pic 1.JPG
    ipad 2 pic 1.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 983

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Since that camera is designed for videocalls, doesn't make sense at all to use the iPad as a point-and-shoot. So... No, nothing is wrong with your iPad.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Since that camera is designed for videocalls, doesn't make sense at all to use the iPad as a point-and-shoot. So... No, nothing is wrong with your iPad.

You'd use an iPad's rear camera for video calls? o_O

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
You'd use an iPad's rear camera for video calls? o_O

You can flip the camera around to show the person you're on a video call with what you're looking at instead of having to flip the entire iPad around and not being sure if whatever you're showing is in-frame.

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
I was talking about the rear camera, i'd expect that quality out of the front facing camera, but that pic was taken with the rear facing cam.

and thanks for the compliment on the kitchen :)

edit: it's alot more noticeable in this pic

Attachments

• ipad 2 pic 3.JPG
    ipad 2 pic 3.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
You can flip the camera around to show the person you're on a video call with what you're looking at instead of having to flip the entire iPad around and not being sure if whatever you're showing is in-frame.

Forgot about that, still, I'd hardly say that the back camera was designed for video calling - more like 720p capture but Apple decided to let people use it for video calls since it's already there. [/splitting hairs]

@OP: Grain is totally in - your photos look artistic ;P

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Photos taken indoors look that way. Take a photo outside in bright light and they look much better.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Forgot about that, still, I'd hardly say that the back camera was designed for video calling - more like 720p capture but Apple decided to let people use it for video calls since it's already there. [/splitting hairs]

@OP: Grain is totally in - your photos look artistic ;P

I tell you, it's for video calling. Why would you want to film with such a giant aluminum plate? Very uncomfortable and pointless. Would you take pictures or record with a laptop?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
wanted to use jotnot and scannerpro to photograph documents, notes, and book pages. i didn't expect it to be as good as my digital camera, but thisis useless. nevermind trying to take a picture of humans. if the one on the back is for video, why advertise it as a camera?

Daforce

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
The front and the rear facing cameras are for video calling not for taking pictures..you have a camera or a cellphone for that

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Reminds me of my old Motorola Razr's camera... Really, just like it. I think it was 2 megapixels. My iPad 2's camera sucked (past tense because I sold it. Not because of the camera though, lol. I didn't buy it to be a camera). I honestly think Apple needs to make the camera in the iPads the same as the iPhones. I had so many situations where I had my iPad in my hand and I wanted to snap a picture, but then I realize "Wait, the camera SUCKS" and by the time I get my iPad back in my bag so I can whip out the iPhone, it's too late. The moment's gone...

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Yep, that's pretty normal. The picture quality totally depends on the amount of light available - take one in a brighter place and you'll get much better results.

As others have said, it's not great for stills, but it's OK for video. Slightly better news: this graininess can be reduced a whole lot in software. I've written some noise reduction stuff into my current project, and it can help a lot. (That app isn't available yet, but I'll see if I can post up some comparisons later.)

kschong710

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Yes,if taken photo at outdoor is more good quality.I alway prefer using it under sunlight..am I right?

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I am just laughing when people keep complaining about the cameras. Yea, they honestly suck, and just because something is HD resolution doesn't mean it is really crisp or hd looking. However, these are really ONLY on there for FaceTime and everything else like photo booth and camera apps are things that were added after they decided to put cameras in for facetime

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
Apple fanboys/apologists making lame excuses for the crap cameras in 3...2...

wait a minute, they've already posted multiple times :/

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Photo quality is about same quality as on iphone3 which was terrible anywhere except in great light. Its a shame considering Apple touted the addition of cameras to rhe ipad big time. One of the reasons i didnt upgrade from my original until i see camera quality on ipad3

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011

Well camera is crap, but for video calls it's ok, at least for me. Even my HTC Desire is better, yes. But let's make it clear I and everyone else here didn't buy their iPads to take pictures.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US

And do you own an iPad

----------

Well camera is crap, but for video calls it's ok, at least for me. Even my HTC Desire is better, yes. But let's make it clear I and everyone else here didn't buy their iPads to take pictures.

Exactly

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
I do own an iPad 2 and yes the picture/video quality of the cameras is inexcusably bad. I don't buy the notion that they were "meant for FaceTime" - poor quality is poor quality, period. I can't see how you can slice that any other way than what it is.

Apple (as would any other manufacturer) does this to make excuses to improve their model line to draw you into perpetually buying their new, improved version. Watch the camera quality get incrementally better in iPad 3 ("We heard your complaints about the camera quality on the iPad 2, and we listened. So now the cameras are full HD blah blah blah").

I mean, that''s fine, but the cameras on the iPad 2 are really, blatantly, bad.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I tell you, it's for video calling. Why would you want to film with such a giant aluminum plate? Very uncomfortable and pointless. Would you take pictures or record with a laptop?

This is one of those posts that's gonna look really funny in 3 years.

Trust me, when the iPad finally has a good camera in it a LOT of people will use it for home movies. I can already tell that people think that video-recording with an iPad is just a lot more fun than anything else they've used. The quality's just too poor at the moment.

I'm sure you don't believe me, but it'll happen. Just wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.