Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
When iPad 2 launched, I questioned was it worth upgrading my original iPad. I was ridiculed by many as they explained their new iPad 2's would soon be the only tablets that would run the glut of new apps being written for them. Well, guess what, it never happened. More apple hype. Upgrade was a waste of money

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I doubt that any developer or Apple would want an app that was iPad2 exclusive. It would fragment the app eco system and developers would have a limited market. It doesn't make good business sense.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
FaceTime and Skype video calling are the only immediate ones that come to mind. So, yes, it did happen.

I fail to see how it was Apple hype, however. I don't recall them urging customers to upgrade. And while to you, upgrading seems like a waste of money, others might want more storage space or want something that supports video calling, in which case upgrading isn't a waste of money.

Also, the iPad 2 has a 3-axis gyroscope, which many games use.

Other apps:
- Real Racing HD
- Garageband
- Infinity Blade
- Rage HD
- iMovie
- Jenga HD
- Photobooth

Last edited:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Blatant self-promotion: Camera Boost. Uses the cameras, and also the A5's new GPU heavily (this couldn't run on an iPad 1, it's way too slow). It'll get a major update soon too, as I'm really getting to grips with the iPad 2's hardware :)

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
FaceTime and Skype video calling are the only immediate ones that come to mind. So, yes, it did happen.

I fail to see how it was Apple hype, however. I don't recall them urging customers to upgrade. And while to you, upgrading seems like a waste of money, others might want more storage space or want something that supports video calling, in which case upgrading isn't a waste of money.

Also, the iPad 2 has a 3-axis gyroscope, which many games use.

Other apps:
- Real Racing HD
- Garageband
- Infinity Blade
- Rage HD
- iMovie
- Jenga HD
- Photobooth
That just solidifies the OP's point. There is nothing outside the original few iPad 2 specific apps that are available now. So glad I didn't buy the iPad 2 :)

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
That just solidifies the OP's point. There is nothing outside the original few iPad 2 specific apps that are available now. So glad I didn't buy the iPad 2 :)

err... basically every app that uses a camera?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.