Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/DCVENU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I have a mate who purchased a iPhone 4 from ebay with a broken front and back screen for only $150 AUD. He received it and called apple to see how much it would cost to get the front and back fixed. They took the IMEI Number and told him to just take it to a local Apple Store and the Phone will be replaced for $244. He went to a store and they handed him a brand new iPhone for $244 while taking the broken one. So he ended up with a brand new UNLOCKED 32gb iPhone 4 for $394 ($150 Ebay + $244 Replace from Apple Store)

Then the other day i drop my iPhone 4 while getting out of the car forgetting it was on my lap. As you would guess the front screen cracked from the bottom left hand corner to the other side of the phone about half way up with random branches (cracks) off the main crack. I rang Apple and explained i cracked my iPhone 4 screen. Again they simply said come into a store and it will be replaced for $244.
So, on my way to the Apple store I'm not happy a silly mistake is just about to cost me $250 but still happy i can replace my phone. I stop at an atm at the front of the Apple store to get cash for them. Go into the store and book in for an appointment. 10 minutes later i was in front of a genius member and she took my phone to inspect. After turning it off in front of me she told me she would be back in 5 minutes and took the phone to the back of the store. When returning she told me this is something they DONT NORMALLY DO. "But today we are going to replace the phone for NO COST at all' she then began to explain that because the screen was not completely shattered (like they normally see) and only had one MAJOR CRACK across the screen it was a FAULT in the GLASS. After syncing my Data within 25 minutes i was walking out of the store with a brand new replacement iPhone 4 for FREE.

THIS IS IN AUSTRALIA NOT SURE OF INTERNATIONAL STORES....

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
They did it for me too. Everyone gets 1 free swap. Provided not too much time has passed from purchase, I think.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
^^^ Not necessarily. It definitely depends on the Genius you get.

Some are nicer, and decide to replace at no-cost, some follow procedures.

Regardless, congrats to the OP. Consider yourself lucky you didn't need to pay $250 AUD.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
They did it for me too. Everyone gets 1 free swap. Provided not too much time has passed from purchase, I think.

Not true, depends on the genius, your attitude, what happened to the phone...But generally Apple has the best CS I've seen.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Not true, depends on the genius, your attitude, what happened to the phone...But generally Apple has the best CS I've seen.

Apple has pretty good customer service. Although when my alienware got all strange (frame rates went down by like 75% with constant freezing), I called Dell and they sent someone to my home within 24 hours of my call. The guy they sent wasn't particularly sociable (I was asking him question and he was ignoring me haha). Just saying that Apple customer service seems to have forced other companies into providing a similar service to keep up with what people expect from warranty these days due to Apple being quite generous.

Very good for the consumer. I am not sure whether I just had a very good experience or it's the same across the board with Dell though.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
I had my phone replaced for free after water damage. The screen wouldn't turn on at all but the phone was on. I took it in, they verified the water damage, gave me a brand new one at no cost. I was so ecstatic that day!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Guy I work with got his mates iPhone for off him. As above cracked the glass. He went into the apple store and they checked the IMEI number and asked if the phone was his and he said he bought it off his mate and they just gave him a brand new for free.

This is in the UK.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Great to hear you and your mate were able to get something in life that makes things just a little bit better. Its the small things in life, right?

On another note, I think its great to hear people singing praises of a retail establishment. Normally, all you hear is people telling of horror stories and complaints but its refreshing to hear some good things at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.