Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

Just wondered what anyone else thought about this flick?

I personally enjoyed it. Thought they paid homage to the original series well, the storyline was solid and they left an opening for a sequel. In terms of escapism, I was there. Of course, there were a few holes, but hard to not do that x amount of years later.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but it was neat to see how Caesar develops his feelings towards humans and from what I remember correctly, there's a relation to how James Franco felt towards him and how some of the apes were sympathetic to the humans in the originals.

Cheers,
Keebler

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I really enjoyed the movie.

As a fan of the originals, I thought I wouldn't like this one as much, but I was surprised. I went in with an open mind though, and came out extremely satisfied.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Ditto to the above posters.... wasn't sure that I would like it, but in the end liked it very much. So much so, wanting to see the new sequels based off of this prequel...

Not a spoiler as such - but stay for the first part of the credits...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just saw the movie earlier today and enjoyed it as well. I can't really complain about any one portion of the movie, it was pretty solid and a good storyline.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I really enjoyed it also. I loved some of the little "nods" if you will to the original POTA, ie get your ape hands off me line. Classic!

I could see there being a part two etc. I thought it was that good and if they can keep up the story telling to this level we might have a really good POTA for our generation.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Only if they brought back Bill Bonds. Did they bring back Bill Bonds?

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Was concerned after the last Ape remake with Wahlberg but this one was really well executed. Very enjoyable flik. :)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Id enjoy it more with less monkeys in it.

Perhaps you complained that the screening of Cars 2 had to many cars in it as well ? , but the name of the film kind of gives away the fact there was going to be monkies, lots of monkies.

next Kissaragi complains that Kung Fu Panda has to much martial arts in it, and to many pandas.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Was concerned after the last Ape remake with Wahlberg but this one was really well executed. Very enjoyable flik. :)

personally I feel the last remake with Wahlberg was done QUITE well. This CG animation is poor and you CANNOT fathom the incredible authenticity of acting prowess that Tim Roth did with Fade! I feel THAT plot was well done, showing an alternate reason of how Apes and Man switched rolls as the dominant species on earth.

I'm a fan of most of the originals, I cannot stand the one with Cornelius parading around California like he was a celebrity.

KOZOK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
personally I feel the last remake with Wahlberg was done QUITE well.
x2, I also really enjoyed that one. But found myself bored by this most recent film. It was interesting starting out but the two times I've tried to watch it I've found myself looking for something else to do around the halfway point.
The only thing I didn't really love about the '01 POTA was the totally non sequitur ending.

IgiveyoutheFBI

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
UK
I enjoyed it for what it was, simple entertainment. And, as much as I liked to look at her, I thought Frida Pinto's role was unnecessary and only there for the eye candy and Tom Felton's character and plot driver could have been combined into Brian Cox's.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I remember going to see the previous Planet of the Apes remake and expecting great things of it... Thought it was an absolute shocker, despite the CGI. I loved the original films and had even read the book - I was stunned in the previous remake when the humans all started talking... Eh? The fact they couldn't was the whole point...

Is this new one a bit more intelligent than the last one or is just more of the same?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
is this the prequel of planet of the apes? I remember that Planet of the apes was release 10 years ago is it now they start doing the saga again? I've been waiting on what's next in the end of that movie lmao.
PS: Never watch the 60s saga so I can't figure out which came first or not :(

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
We saw it tonight, and we thought it was quite good. There were some nice nods to the original in there, I was pleased however that no Bonobos were involved as they might have made it a bit unsavoury.

EDIT: It appears I was mistaken – reading up about the film it would seem that Koba was a Bonobo.

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
is this the prequel of planet of the apes? I remember that Planet of the apes was release 10 years ago is it now they start doing the saga again? I've been waiting on what's next in the end of that movie lmao.
PS: Never watch the 60s saga so I can't figure out which came first or not :(

Who would have thought that this remake of a prequel of a reboot of a decades old movie would be the most enjoyable big budget/summer blockbuster type movie of the year? I enjoyed this film more then any of the super hero movies or even Harry Potter (a film series I loved but for some reason, meh to this final film...). Anyway it really isn't a prequel to the Marky Mark POTA or even the original one. Its more of a reboot for a new series.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Who would have thought that this remake of a prequel of a reboot of a decades old movie would be the most enjoyable big budget/summer blockbuster type movie of the year? I enjoyed this film more then any of the super hero movies or even Harry Potter (a film series I loved but for some reason, meh to this final film...). Anyway it really isn't a prequel to the Marky Mark POTA or even the original one. Its more of a reboot for a new series.

This. I couldn't agree more with it is one of the most enjoyable films this year.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I saw it Tuesday night and thought it was a good flick. Sure there's parts I can logically pick apart, but my general rule is that if you want to enjoy a film then don't overanalyze it. It's called "suspension of disbelief" for a reason. I'd be interested in seeing a sequel as I found the first entertaining. :)

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Loved the movie; constantly, I leave the theater with friends and always ask, "Why can't they just make a good movie?"

I mean, I watch a lot of movies at home and read a lot of books so, I guess as I begin my ascent in requirements to be entertained (lol), a lot of movies just dont' do it for me.

I thought Transformers 3 sucked; Green Lantern was terrible, and Thor was no better.

This one was done quite nicely and you could really connect with the Apes (some of them anyway) and actually "feel" their pain.

The main ape actually had a mind of his own and you could see the character evolve through the film, one quality which these movies blatantly forget to do; it's a story, the main characters should evolve, not stay static.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
good movie but from what i remember feeling after the movie, there were a couple of plotholes but beisdes that. excellent.

What didn't you like about it? I thought it was a little fast when

*spoilers*

The head guy decided to just "turn around" and give the main character all of the funding he needed to proceed.I mean, it wasn't arbitrary or anything, but he was so set on not doing it then after hearing one or two sentences, he's doing a 180 and patting the guy on the shoulder.

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Only if they brought back Bill Bonds. Did they bring back Bill Bonds?

No bill bonds is 100 years old and drinks 7 bottles of scotch a day. Not to mention his hair piece passed away 10 years ago.

On a serious note I miss Bill Bonds He didn't read the news he interpreted it and his drunken rantings about Coleman young were very entertaining. You just didn't know what to expect when you turned on the 6 Oclock news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.