Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Browser Are You Using?

• Total voters

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
This is for people with Lion on their MBA's.

What browser do you use, and why?

Personally I used to use Chrome until Lion came out, and Safari just feels 1000x better now. The bouncy scrolling, full screen, and the swiping pages just feels too great to use anything less. Oh and the iOS-like pinch to zoom is awesome...

I do however have Firefox installed, as Quake Live's friend chat doesn't do well with Safari. But it is used only for Quake Live.

Also I really like the new Reader function and being able to instantly sync bookmarks and the reading list to my iOS devices with iCloud.

Last edited:

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Firefox - For Slingbox (since there is no standalone player for the Mac OS X)
Safari - For all other websites. It's an added plus that with MobileMe it synchs my bookmarks across my devices.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Chrome for extensions and pure awesomeness.

I like safari but Safari extensions suck and i hate typing randomly in the address bar and having it error rather than doing a google search. Firefox I gave up on because its so bulky and slow (That may have changed but their time has passed)

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Chrome for extensions and pure awesomeness.

I like safari but Safari extensions suck and i hate typing randomly in the address bar and having it error rather than doing a google search. Firefox I gave up on because its so bulky and slow (That may have changed but their time has passed)

I totally agree that the search bar should be built into the address bar. One of my favorite chrome features. I'm not a huge extensions guy though, just use AdBlock.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Firefox, mainly, though I think that's just through force of habit. I used to use Firefox Sync a lot but found it a bit buggy; I stopped using that but carried on using the browser anyway.

I also have Chrome on here which I'll occasionally use as well as Safari but it's usually Firefox that I go for when browsing.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Safari on my MBA - Chrome on my iMac

Chrome seemed to drain my battery much faster so I switched to Safari, but only temporarily.

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
I've been using Chrome simply because it's what I'm most used to. I like having my set of pinned websites always there. (Pretty sure Firefox can do this too, but just haven't used it on my own computers; my work computer has it because IE is terrible and they block me from installing anything.)

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
love Chrome, address/search and gmail bookmark syncing in particular, but no multi-touch navigating like in Safari, another must have feature! (please tell me i'm wrong!) EDIT: i was wrong!

been using Chrome, but i'm in transition, so not sure what i'll settle into.

:confused:

Last edited:

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
This is for people with Lion on their MBA's.

What browser do you use, and why?

Personally I used to use Chrome until Lion came out, and Safari just feels 1000x better now. The bouncy scrolling, full screen, and the swiping pages just feels too great to use anything less.

I do however have Firefox installed, as Quake Live's friend chat doesn't do well with Safari. But it is used only for Quake Live.

Also I really like the new Reader function and being able to instantly sync bookmarks and the reading list to my iOS devices with iCloud.

Chrome on my Windows desktop. It's far better than Safari on Windows (don't really like using Safari on Windows). Chrome is a lot easier to browse quickly on with a mouse. I also don't mind using Firefox (sometimes I use firefox but really I don't care between firefox and chrome).

Safari on OS X Lion. Because it has a more Mac feel, and it works with a touchpad well.

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
All three, but Safari is my primary in Lion. Used Chrome mainly on my previous laptop, but since Safari is made to use Lion's new features Safari it is. However it is useful being comfortable with each browser. There are some plug-ins that just work better with a specific browser. Or sometimes one browser just runs more efficiently on a particular website e.g., Netflix.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Safari seems faster than Firefox on Lion. Though Firefox V. is still running an older beta. Not sure if new updates exist for firefox and would make it faster. Lion seems to mate really well with Safari, which is no big surprise when I'm sure Apple got far more time to intergarate Safari then Mozilla or Google got.

lukekarts

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Chrome.

Hard to put a finger on all the reasons why, but it just feels quicker, and little features like the address bar searching, very intuitive tabbed browsing etc. are great.

jim468

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Safari. Because of multi touch gestures and the rubber band scrolling. They are just too good!

oyibo45

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Firefox, because it's so customizable. Adblock, Yahoo Mail notifier (with custom audio alert), Video download helper (I download a lot of youtube vids), FlagFox (I like to know the origin of the sites I visit sometimes) et al. Firefox was the first download as soon as I got online with my new MBA. Safari? I'd like to give it a try but this little devil on my shoulder keeps whispering in my ear, "Only dead fish go with the flow"

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Chrome because it syncs bookmarks to all of my machines and it seems to be faster with a smaller memory and CPU footprint

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I switched from Chrome to Safari before Lion came out because I read the benefits of Lion with Safari. It was a close coin flip for me in the first place before Lion.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I am now using safari regularly for the first time. It just works so well within Lion. I still think Chrome is a better browser but until they get proper full screen and gesture support, I will continue to use safari.

rmcnelly

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Portsmouth, VA
Chrome because my bookmark bar remains dropped down as I sweep the cursor across the different folders.

I have just switched back to the Mac after an absence of several years. I was using Firefox on the Windows machine. For some reason I'm seeing little pop up ads when watching YouTube videos. AdBlock nor AdBlockPlus blocks them, and I never saw them when using the Windows machine.

How do I block these small pop up ads on YouTube with Safari or Chrome?

dlbmacfan

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
The new feature set in Safari on Lion is great. Chrome is leaner and faster, and I like the bookmark sync. But Chrome is not yet color managed, so I spend most of my time in Safari these days (I do a lot of web-based photographic critique).

salmemail

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Firefox-Because it's the only browser I can customize to have all cache, sites, history and cookies deleted when closing the browser.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Safari- because it's the only one that works flawlessly (for the most part). Chrome comes in a close second, but some of the missing features lead me to using safari more often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.