Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Hi,

Preparing to switch to Lion from latest version of snow leopard (careful not to use the word "upgrade" because the jury is still out. ;) and am in a house-cleaning mood. I have dozens, if not a couple of hundred of PowerPC and Classic apps that have migrated with me from system to system for the better part of my computing lifetime. I'd like to get rid of them and can see how to identify what they are using System Profiler.

However, because of the large quantity of these apps it would be highly tedious to remove them one by one manually as I see them in the System Profiler list. Wondering if there's some other utility or method anyone can suggest to mass delete all Classic and/or PowerPC apps...or some kind of way to identify them in a "super"-smart folder that would only have those apps listed in them since System Profiler won't let you do anything but identify the apps.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

Rick

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
I think Lion moves PPC apps to a separate folder on your drive called Incompatible Software automatically. In theory, you'd just need to trash this folder once you've upgraded, without doing any work.

...you may want to verify this though.

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
Systeminfo -> Software -> Applications
Normally you've got a list there. One of the info's showed there is 'sort' (intel, universal, PPC)

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I think Lion moves PPC apps to a separate folder on your drive called Incompatible Software automatically. In theory, you'd just need to trash this folder once you've upgraded, without doing any work.

...you may want to verify this though.

That would be convenient if it did so though was hoping to remove the apps before migrating Lion to start with a cleaner palette.

Normally you've got a list there. One of the info's showed there is 'sort' (intel, universal, PPC)

In my list, the available fields to sort by are Name, Date Modified, Date Created, Last Opened, Size, Kind, Version, Comments, Label

None of these list the application type (intel, universal, PPC)....the "Kind" column only lists the very general kind of file it is (Application, Folder, or if a document what app created it)...so I don't think that's it unless the application type is a new view available in Lion.

Thanks for the replies!

R

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Lion doesn't sort the apps or move them for you. Lion will put a gray "no" badge over the app's icon to let you know that it's incompatible.

Not the easiest way to do this but, you could go ahead and install Lion, and then sort your apps by "Date Created". Chances are that most of the older ones would be the ones to uninstall - you just check the icon to be sure first and then use that visual clue to find the rest.

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Lion doesn't sort the apps or move them for you. Lion will put a gray "no" badge over the app's icon to let you know that it's incompatible.

Not the easiest way to do this but, you could go ahead and install Lion, and then sort your apps by "Date Created". Chances are that most of the older ones would be the ones to uninstall - you just check the icon to be sure first and then use that visual clue to find the rest.

Does Lion put this badge over the apps in the Finder or are the "no" badges only visible in Launchpad? (Good suggestion on the Date created sorting...thanks)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It's in System Profiler if you're not already on Lion (which it sounds like you're not). Click the Apple Menu, select About This Mac, then click the More Info button. You'll see the Applications tab on the left, most of the way down. From there you'll have the sort options mentioned before (that's what they were telling you to do, but they said System Info(rmation), which is what the name was changed to in Lion).

jW

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
It's in System Profiler if you're not already on Lion (which it sounds like you're not). Click the Apple Menu, select About This Mac, then click the More Info button. You'll see the Applications tab on the left, most of the way down. From there you'll have the sort options mentioned before (that's what they were telling you to do, but they said System Info(rmation), which is what the name was changed to in Lion).

jW

I have those sort options in System Profiler now in Snow Leopard...but there is no ability to do anything but view the applications...you then have to manually go to the finder to delete them which is a pain....does Lion add the ability to move or delete applications directly from within System Profiler?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have those sort options in System Profiler now in Snow Leopard...but there is no ability to do anything but view the applications...you then have to manually go to the finder to delete them which is a pain....does Lion add the ability to move or delete applications directly from within System Profiler?

Nope, it's simply a way to see which are which. You can only delete from the Finder.

jW

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Nope, it's simply a way to see which are which. You can only delete from the Finder.

jW

Right...well as I indicated in my initial post, I was aware of this viewing ability within System Profiler and am looking for a better way to group and delete al these apps. Thanks though.

kkrabat

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Denmark

mine is empty of programs. All the rest is there - frameworks, fonts etc. What do I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.