Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:40 AM   #1
rickpoet
macrumors newbie

Easy way to find and delete Classic and PowerPC Apps?

Hi,

Preparing to switch to Lion from latest version of snow leopard (careful not to use the word "upgrade" because the jury is still out. and am in a house-cleaning mood. I have dozens, if not a couple of hundred of PowerPC and Classic apps that have migrated with me from system to system for the better part of my computing lifetime. I'd like to get rid of them and can see how to identify what they are using System Profiler.

However, because of the large quantity of these apps it would be highly tedious to remove them one by one manually as I see them in the System Profiler list. Wondering if there's some other utility or method anyone can suggest to mass delete all Classic and/or PowerPC apps...or some kind of way to identify them in a "super"-smart folder that would only have those apps listed in them since System Profiler won't let you do anything but identify the apps.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

Rick
rickpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Skyhigh223
Banned

I think Lion moves PPC apps to a separate folder on your drive called Incompatible Software automatically. In theory, you'd just need to trash this folder once you've upgraded, without doing any work.

...you may want to verify this though.
Skyhigh223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:24 AM   #3
DenBeke
macrumors regular

Systeminfo -> Software -> Applications
Normally you've got a list there. One of the info's showed there is 'sort' (intel, universal, PPC)
DenBeke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
rickpoet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh223 View Post
I think Lion moves PPC apps to a separate folder on your drive called Incompatible Software automatically. In theory, you'd just need to trash this folder once you've upgraded, without doing any work.

...you may want to verify this though.
That would be convenient if it did so though was hoping to remove the apps before migrating Lion to start with a cleaner palette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBeke View Post
Normally you've got a list there. One of the info's showed there is 'sort' (intel, universal, PPC)
In my list, the available fields to sort by are Name, Date Modified, Date Created, Last Opened, Size, Kind, Version, Comments, Label

None of these list the application type (intel, universal, PPC)....the "Kind" column only lists the very general kind of file it is (Application, Folder, or if a document what app created it)...so I don't think that's it unless the application type is a new view available in Lion.

Thanks for the replies!

R
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:39 PM   #5
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Lion doesn't sort the apps or move them for you. Lion will put a gray "no" badge over the app's icon to let you know that it's incompatible.

Not the easiest way to do this but, you could go ahead and install Lion, and then sort your apps by "Date Created". Chances are that most of the older ones would be the ones to uninstall - you just check the icon to be sure first and then use that visual clue to find the rest.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
rickpoet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
Lion doesn't sort the apps or move them for you. Lion will put a gray "no" badge over the app's icon to let you know that it's incompatible.

Not the easiest way to do this but, you could go ahead and install Lion, and then sort your apps by "Date Created". Chances are that most of the older ones would be the ones to uninstall - you just check the icon to be sure first and then use that visual clue to find the rest.
Does Lion put this badge over the apps in the Finder or are the "no" badges only visible in Launchpad? (Good suggestion on the Date created sorting...thanks)
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Mal
macrumors 603

It's in System Profiler if you're not already on Lion (which it sounds like you're not). Click the Apple Menu, select About This Mac, then click the More Info button. You'll see the Applications tab on the left, most of the way down. From there you'll have the sort options mentioned before (that's what they were telling you to do, but they said System Info(rmation), which is what the name was changed to in Lion).

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:42 PM   #8
rickpoet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
It's in System Profiler if you're not already on Lion (which it sounds like you're not). Click the Apple Menu, select About This Mac, then click the More Info button. You'll see the Applications tab on the left, most of the way down. From there you'll have the sort options mentioned before (that's what they were telling you to do, but they said System Info(rmation), which is what the name was changed to in Lion).

jW
I have those sort options in System Profiler now in Snow Leopard...but there is no ability to do anything but view the applications...you then have to manually go to the finder to delete them which is a pain....does Lion add the ability to move or delete applications directly from within System Profiler?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpoet View Post
I have those sort options in System Profiler now in Snow Leopard...but there is no ability to do anything but view the applications...you then have to manually go to the finder to delete them which is a pain....does Lion add the ability to move or delete applications directly from within System Profiler?
Nope, it's simply a way to see which are which. You can only delete from the Finder.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:45 PM   #10
rickpoet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Nope, it's simply a way to see which are which. You can only delete from the Finder.

jW
Right...well as I indicated in my initial post, I was aware of this viewing ability within System Profiler and am looking for a better way to group and delete al these apps. Thanks though.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:04 PM   #11
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpoet View Post
Does Lion put this badge over the apps in the Finder or are the "no" badges only visible in Launchpad?
Both, and on the dock as well.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:20 PM   #12
rickpoet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
Both, and on the dock as well.
Well looks like that's the simple solution to this...has to be done after moving to Lion...though some apps are in their own folders so will still require some digging to see the "no" badges and get them all.

Thanks all,

R
Old May 23, 2012, 07:33 PM   #13
ctowncomodity
macrumors newbie

http://www.macworld.com/article/1162...e_powerpc.html
ctowncomodity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:07 PM   #14
kkrabat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBeke View Post
mine is empty of programs. All the rest is there - frameworks, fonts etc. What do I do?
kkrabat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Tags
classic apps, mass delete, powerpc apps