Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
On my computer, I have both a Lion and Snow Leopard volume.
On my wife’s computer, there is only Snow Leopard.

1. My wife and I are connected via Airport Extreme wifi/home network. I can see her HD icon on my desktop and vice-versa.
2. I can drop folders & files on her HD icon, and voila, they appear on her machine.
3. When my wife accesses my Snow Leopard volume (via Finder/Go ->Connect to Server) she has no problems dragging and dropping.

But when she accesses my Lion volume, she is always advised that she is forbidden: “…lacks permission…” and thus cannot drop & drag to my computer.

We both have File Sharing enabled in System Prefs/Sharing.

In short, all is fine when we both use Snow Leopard, but not when I am using my Lion volume.

Is this a Lion bug (feature) or Operator Error? Is there a fix?

Last edited:

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Experienced same issues mentioned. One of severals reasons why I returned to Snow Leopard until Apple and Software vendors come up with updates.

I loved the interface and features on Lion but I don't have time to deal with OS and apps not working properly.

mwdiers

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
I just installed a Lion Server on my business network, of about 60 users, most of them Macs.

Permissions and user account maintenance on Lion is horribly broken if you are trying to use the Sever utility, and the Command-I permissions pane. It just doesn't work. It looks like it works, but it doesn't work.

Two words of advice: First: Use the command line to set all permissions. Get very familiar with the chmod command and how Mac ACL works. Second: Don't use the Server utility to manage your users. Use the Users and Groups preference pane.

Lion has not done anything new with ACL. It works exactly like Snow Leopard. It is only the UI tools that are totally wacked out.

Now Windows file sharing is another matter. SMBX is a nightmare. I am this close to having Samba 3.6.0 working in Lion, with full OpenDirectory integration. Once I figure it all out, I'll post how I did it.

I would have gone with Snow Leopard if I could have. Unfortunately we needed a Thunderbolt external RAID array, so Lion was the only game in town unless we wished to use a Macbook Pro as a server.

Some brief hints on fixing your problems with ACL. First, add yourself and your wife to a group that will have access to the share. Then, in terminal:

Code:
sudo chmod -R +a "group:<name of the group you created> allow readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,list,search,read,execute,writeattr,writeextattr,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,write,append,file_inherit,directory_inherit" <full path to your shared directory>

cd <full path to your shared directory>

sudo chmod -R +ai "group:<name of the group you created> allow readattr,readextattr,readsecurity,list,search,read,execute,writeattr,writeextattr,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,write,append,file_inherit,directory_inherit" *

You will be asked for your password on the first command. This is YOUR password, not the root password.

In brief, this will:

1) Set base permissions on your Share, and make them interited on any sub folders or files which you create in that share.

2) Enter your directory

3) Set permissions on all subfolders and files in your share, as inherited from the parent. This is necessary, because inherited permissions on the base folder do not propagate automatically. They are only applied when a new folder or file is created, or when a folder or file is moved into that share folder.

Now, I would NOT run this on the entire Hard Drive. That would be a bad idea. Instead, only run it on those shared directories she needs to access. For example, your User folder.

Last edited:

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
To bring this thread to closure (for now)…

I just got off the phone with Apple Care, and the guru advised that he had a few others call with the same problem. At first, he too was confused, but with the help of the tier 3 chaps/chapettes, a solution, well, the official Apple position (paraphrased) tells all...

Dragging and dropping to the root level of a Lion HD is (now) precluded as the process often causes a myriad of problems, and apparently, there are some security concerns as well.

Specifics beyond what I was told were not forthcoming.

FWIW, I never experienced problems of the nature Apple alluded to, but thought others may care to know the gospel from 1 Infinite Loop.

I sure hope this makes sense to thems what knows...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.