Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Jaaay
macrumors member

13" Macbook Pro Stuck on Apple Loading Screen w/ Spinning Grey Circle

Hi there,

Well as the title states, my 13" Macbook Pro is stuck on the apple loading screen, where the grey spinning circle thing just spins forever on end.

This is my first Mac, and would appreciate it if someone could help me out :/

Thanks
Jaaay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

Try booting from the original restore disc that came with your MBP and then run Disk Utility.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Jaaay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimfan View Post
Try booting from the original restore disc that came with your MBP and then run Disk Utility.
Hi, ive got the disk in there atm, but the same screen comes up, even when i hold D to boot from the DVD drive

EDIT: Its booted, running the memory hardware test
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Jaaay
macrumors member

Okay now this memory hardware test is taking really long, 13 minutes so far when the estimate is 3 minutes
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

Once you've done the hardware test, boot from the OS install disc and run Disk Utility - Repair Disk.

You need to hold down the "C" key as you boot.

Don't worry about how long the Apple Hardware Test takes--it can take a while, especially if you've selected the "Extended" test.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Jaaay
macrumors member

Quote:
Once you've done the hardware test, boot from the OS install disc and run Disk Utility - Repair Disk.

You need to hold down the "C" key as you boot.

Don't worry about how long the Apple Hardware Test takes--it can take a while, especially if you've selected the "Extended" test.
Ive left the memory hardware test for 40 minutes now, and the total time testing sas 1min 32 secs

Doesnt seem to be doing anything, it hasnt frozen, the mouse still moves, albeit slowly/laggy, surely it shouldnt take 40+ mins when it has an estimated time of 3 mins :S
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Jaaay
macrumors member

Okay i turned if off and on.

And then after about a minute or so loading got this message:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Jaaay
macrumors member

Okay, i booted into safe mode, and got this error:

disk0s2: I/O error.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

OK, boot from the OS install disk and run disk utility. If that won't run, you may have a bad hard drive. See if you can get it to boot to the OS install screen, and if you have a good backup, erase the drive and re-install OSX.

You could also have a bad OS disc or a bad superdrive.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Jaaay
macrumors member

Quote:
OK, boot from the OS install disk and run disk utility. If that won't run, you may have a bad hard drive. See if you can get it to boot to the OS install screen, and if you have a good backup, erase the drive and re-install OSX.

You could also have a bad OS disc or a bad superdrive.
Each time i try and boot from the Mac OSX Install DVD it gives me the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again." message.

Think its time to visit the genius bar, its already had a new hard drive in the last few months, think ill demand a new machine, do you think they will honour it? Ive had endless problems with this machine
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

Are you using the correct OS install disc? The one that came with your machine? If so, make sure it's not scratched/gouged.

Otherwise, yep, time to take it in to Apple. Don't demand a new one, just politely explain what's been going on, explain the repair history, and ask if they could simply replace it. If it's a current model, your chances are probably good. If it's an older model, you are more likely to have to leave it for repair. Do you have a different hard drive you can try to boot from? An external?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Jaaay
macrumors member

No i don't have an external hard drive i could use.

The disc im trying to use says:

MacBook
Mac OS X Install DVD

Mac OS version 10.6.1
Disc version 1.0
2Z691-6517-A

Looks fine, few light scratches but nothing major.
Im just baffled as to why its acting up like this.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

OK, what Macbook Pro do you have? One of the new Sandy Bridge models or an earlier generation?

If you have a current model, you can't use that disk--you have to use the one that came with it, which is OSX 10.6.6.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Jaaay
macrumors member

Nope, an older generation, this ones around a year old, not too sure what generation that is, but yeah, it was the disk that came with the macbook pro
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Naimfan
macrumors 68040

Sorry to say, but your best bet is a visit to the Apple store.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:07 PM   #16
GuitarG20
macrumors 65816

Visit the apple store.

Depending on how many problems they have in their records, they may end up replacing your machine. Or they could repair it. It just all depends.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:29 PM   #17
onedirectionluv
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Yahhh

Don't worry, this just happened to me. I just holder the power button down until I hear a beep. Then, go take a bath, eat dinner, or whatever you want and then just turn it back on. VOILA!!!
onedirectionluv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro