Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
karlth
macrumors regular

How do I mute the startup sound?

Sometimes booting the my Mac with the chime can be uncomfortable, for example in a public place. How can I turn off the startup sound?

Please don't tell me that I need to run a script to accomplish this??
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:36 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Plug in headphones.
Or turn the sound off before shutting down.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

The startup sound hasn't played through headphones since about 2006, a sad loss to us all in cases of trying to be discreet.

Wow apparently even the other option above no longer works thanks to Lion. A little Googling got me to https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:38 AM   #4
rtolboom
macrumors member

I always used this:

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/S.../index.en.html

But have to admit I didn't bother installing it now as I rarely shut down my mac :P
rtolboom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:47 AM   #5
karlth
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Plug in headphones.
Or turn the sound off before shutting down.
I shouldn't have to remember to do that. :-/
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:35 AM   #6
baryon
macrumors 68030

Hold the MUTE button while you press the POWER button, this should mute the startup chime. It's not permanent, you have to do this each time you want to turn the sound off.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:00 PM   #7
basher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
Hold the MUTE button while you press the POWER button, this should mute the startup chime. It's not permanent, you have to do this each time you want to turn the sound off.
Awesome info! You R O C K ! ! !
basher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Tootles
macrumors member

Has Apple really made it impossible to startup your Mac in public without advertising its presence at maximum volume? I haven't had to restart/shutdown my Mac yet so, haven't experienced this annoyance yet. I can see it happening to people who aren't fortunate enough to have broadband at home. Anyone doing their updating at school or the public library - in a cubicle, to keep a low profile - now being pissed off by their Mac, as insult to injury. Bad move, Apple.
Tootles is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Steve's Barber
Banned

I don't understand the reports about StartupSound.prefPane version 1.1b3 not working in Lion.

It works for me.
Steve's Barber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Tootles
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Barber View Post
I don't understand the reports about StartupSound.prefPane version 1.1b3 not working in Lion.

It works for me.
What's "StartupSound.prefPane version 1.1b3"?
Tootles is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:56 PM   #11
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootles View Post
What's "StartupSound.prefPane version 1.1b3"?
Really? You couldn't do the Google search that would net this link as its first hit?:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/164...sound.prefpane

Scott
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:55 AM   #12
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Just leave it in sleep mode?
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:00 AM   #13
phySi0
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootles View Post
Has Apple really made it impossible to startup your Mac in public without advertising its presence at maximum volume? I haven't had to restart/shutdown my Mac yet so, haven't experienced this annoyance yet. I can see it happening to people who aren't fortunate enough to have broadband at home. Anyone doing their updating at school or the public library - in a cubicle, to keep a low profile - now being pissed off by their Mac, as insult to injury. Bad move, Apple.
It's not always at maximum volume, not for me anyway.

Besides, holding the mute button is one trick mentioned, which IMHO is how it should be. The sound is not to advertise its presence, it's to tell you that everything is working fine and the bootup process is good. Most of the time, you want this. Sometimes you don't. People aren't going to remember to make sure their bootup process went OK, they are going to remember to mute it when they need to be polite.
phySi0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:41 AM   #14
Cripps
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Really? You couldn't do the Google search that would net this link as its first hit?:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/164...sound.prefpane

Scott
does this work under Lion for anyone?
Cripps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Tootles
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phySi0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootles
It's not always at maximum volume, not for me anyway.

Besides, holding the mute button is one trick mentioned, which IMHO is how it should be. The sound is not to advertise its presence, it's to tell you that everything is working fine and the bootup process is good. Most of the time, you want this. Sometimes you don't. People aren't going to remember to make sure their bootup process went OK, they are going to remember to mute it when they need to be polite.
I never wanted to listen to the startup chime while in public, which is where I had to do my updates, before recently getting satellite broadband at home. It wasn't just about being polite, it was also to be discreet. Apple could at least keep the speakers turned off when something is plugged into the audio output port, then you could discreetly hear it through earphones if you wanted. From what I've read here, that no longer happens with the startup chime. We shouldn't have to hold down a key to be discreet.
Tootles is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:07 PM   #16
fisherking
macrumors 68030

since the startup chime can be essential in troubleshooting (reset PRAM anyone?)...it's not such a big deal to have to hold a key on startup...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:38 PM   #17
fortheloveofmac
macrumors member

If my sound is off or at a specific volume, that's how it starts up.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:27 AM   #18
karlth
macrumors regular

There seems to be a difference in the way Windows and Mac OSX users react to "hardwired" preferences in the operating system.

If Microsoft introduced a startup sound that the user would have to remember to mute each time (while the wife was sleeping or in a café) they would be literally hanged.

Here on the other hand it seems to be almost considered a "user" problem.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:18 AM   #19
digger1985
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlth View Post
There seems to be a difference in the way Windows and Mac OSX users react to "hardwired" preferences in the operating system.

If Microsoft introduced a startup sound that the user would have to remember to mute each time (while the wife was sleeping or in a café) they would be literally hanged.

Here on the other hand it seems to be almost considered a "user" problem.
That's the main difference between Apple and MS. With MS you get choices, with Apple you have to live by with what Steve Jobs says.
digger1985 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:18 PM   #20
Head Unit
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherking View Post
since the startup chime can be essential in troubleshooting (reset PRAM anyone?)...it's not such a big deal to have to hold a key on startup...
Actually the chime still comes out under those types of circumstances, so the comment doesn't really apply.

Plus, who needs the chime to tell you if your startup was OK? I think most people use an alternative technique called "look at the screen after startup and if it looks weird, something is wrong."

It's not a big deal...unless, like many many people, it is something you will often forget to do, and end up making noise in a quiet house or library or whatever.

There should be a preference to turn the damn thing off. End of story. Maybe now that Steve is dead they can "allow" it.
Head Unit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:42 PM   #21
jim468
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
For some reason this does not work on my Mac. I am using Lion 10.7.2 on my Macbook Air.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:29 PM   #22
mikhail911
macrumors newbie

Skript

Hy guy, I hade a same problem on MacBook Air OSX 10.7, this page helped:
http://my.opera.com/mereh/blog/2011/...omment75289542
mikhail911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 08:30 AM   #23
davidlv
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
does this work under Lion for anyone?
Working here on a Mac mini running Lion 10.7.2
Old Dec 25, 2011, 08:42 AM   #24
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
The startup sound hasn't played through headphones since about 2006, a sad loss to us all in cases of trying to be discreet.

Wow apparently even the other option above no longer works thanks to Lion. A little Googling got me to https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
The second works just fine for me. I have my computer muted and the chime is muted. 13" MacBook Pro if it means anything.

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:30 AM   #25
Nameci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
The chime is not accomplished thru the OS. It is on the firmware, unless you want to hack the firmware. It is on the boot up process before even the system starts the OS.

The chime is needed to tell the operator that the boot up is normal and nothing wrong with the hardware and its peripherals.

I you don't want to hear the chime, don't shutdown your macbook, let it sleep it will wake up and there is no chime.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion