Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Bymatt
macrumors member

Handbrake presets

I use HB to archive my DVDs. I display the archived media on an iPad 1, often sending it to an ATV2 to display on a recent Samsung 46. When I come across a scratched DVD that hangs HB up, I have another program that seems able to work around even severe sector damage and produce a clean image for HB.
FINALLY THE QUESTION:
For a long time I have been using the HI Profile preset in HB and find it a great preset. I have tried the same clean DVDs of movies and shorter (apx 44 minute features) using the ATV2 preset. It is also very good. IN FACT, with the HI PROFILE yielding apx 520 mg file and the ATV2 yielding apx 700 mg file, I am hard pressed to see much difference in quality. I know what the basic file settings difference is in the area of frame rate. What am I missing in comparing then two presets and where is the quality gain that justifies such a much larger file size in my case/use? The difference in file size is constant and proportional across varied media content.
TIA for anyone's patience and thoughts.
Bymatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
rodman109110
macrumors 6502

It could be that the apple tv 2 setting is producing a slightly higher bitrate then the high profile setting making the file bigger.

If you don't see any difference in quality just convert to whatever you're comfortable with, theres no point in wasting the space if you don't have to.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
peterjcat
macrumors 6502

A higher bitrate doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. The High Profile setting may just be using more aggressive encoding settings, so the file takes longer to encode and more processing power to decode but the resulting file is smaller and more efficient for the same quality. If you're using Constant Quality with the same RF then naturally the quality will be the same, only the bitrate/file size will change.
peterjcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater