Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bymatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I use HB to archive my DVDs. I display the archived media on an iPad 1, often sending it to an ATV2 to display on a recent Samsung 46. When I come across a scratched DVD that hangs HB up, I have another program that seems able to work around even severe sector damage and produce a clean image for HB.
FINALLY THE QUESTION:
For a long time I have been using the HI Profile preset in HB and find it a great preset. I have tried the same clean DVDs of movies and shorter (apx 44 minute features) using the ATV2 preset. It is also very good. IN FACT, with the HI PROFILE yielding apx 520 mg file and the ATV2 yielding apx 700 mg file, I am hard pressed to see much difference in quality. I know what the basic file settings difference is in the area of frame rate. What am I missing in comparing then two presets and where is the quality gain that justifies such a much larger file size in my case/use? The difference in file size is constant and proportional across varied media content.
TIA for anyone's patience and thoughts.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
It could be that the apple tv 2 setting is producing a slightly higher bitrate then the high profile setting making the file bigger.

If you don't see any difference in quality just convert to whatever you're comfortable with, theres no point in wasting the space if you don't have to.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
A higher bitrate doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. The High Profile setting may just be using more aggressive encoding settings, so the file takes longer to encode and more processing power to decode but the resulting file is smaller and more efficient for the same quality. If you're using Constant Quality with the same RF then naturally the quality will be the same, only the bitrate/file size will change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.