Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I have been considering getting rid of my iPad since my phone does a good amount of what it does. The only thing I am weary about is reading books on my phone.

I have tried it a couple times and just didn't really get into it as I am just too used to the iPad. I can probably get used to it easily once the iPad is out of sight.

Does anyone read books on their phone? Do you like it? What are some annoyances? Anything you actually prefer?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I read "*hit my dad says" on my iPhone. it wasn't as bad as I thought, but i still like my paperback.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I read books on my phone more than I actually read them on my iPad. It's just easier because I have it with me everywhere I go. I got used to the size of the script fairly quickly and it's never been an issue.

Even when I'm at home, I rarely switch to the iPad because I'm just so used to reading books on my phone.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I read books on my iPhone with no problems you just flip the pages more often than on the iPad. I do about 50/50 for either iPad or iPhone reading.

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
i recently read stephen king's the long walk on my iphone and it was not bad at all. im looking for a new book to start at the moment but i will definitely continue to read on it

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I read books on my iPhone. I'm a fan of the kindle app just because I am not restricted to apple devices. I just up the font one size up from the default and I am good to go. I tend to read while I am on the subway so my iPhone is perfect for that.

harmonica01

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
I made the mistake of reading a book (or rather skimming) on my iphone; it was a mistake as it hurt my eyes for hours. Retina screen or not, our eyes arent made to focus on a small screen for extended periods.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I had to read 3 books over the summer for AP English and I did attempt to read them on my iPhone 4, but the screen was too small and it just wasn't working out. Needless to say I used the actual copies rather than my phone.

iApache

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I take the train to and from uni, so to keep myself occupied on the train I read books on iBooks. At first it was annoying to me, the screen felt too small, but my eyes got adjusted to it. Surely if I had an iPad I wouldn't read on my iphone. In your case you seem use to reading it there, so it would take some time to get adjusted.

`iApache

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I made the mistake of reading a book (or rather skimming) on my iphone; it was a mistake as it hurt my eyes for hours. Retina screen or not, our eyes arent made to focus on a small screen for extended periods.

Its no problem for me. My iPad still gives quite some light when reading in bed at night, so to avoid annoying my wife, I read a lot on my iPhone. Sometimes for hours on end, it doesn't hurt my eyes. Yes I get tired, but not more than is to be expected.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I read on my iPhone too. Just not as much. I find the iPad to be better. But on the road, I rather carry the iPhone then lugging a large iPad just for reading

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I read from the iPhone for quick readings when waiting for a train/bus/airplane. But i'm considering buying a Kindle to be my eReader of choice. The iPad is great, but i don't want to bring it along all the time. I usually use my iPad at home when relaxing.

Plus, my MacBook Pro with Lion's Full Screen feature is doing great as an eReader, for now.

harmonica01

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
I read on my iPhone too. Just not as much. I find the iPad to be better. But on the road, I rather carry the iPhone then lugging a large iPad just for reading

It's happened. Apple has made even their iPad come across as too big *facepalm*

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I think it's nifty. Sometimes I don't have the money to buy a physical book when I really want to read it, so this way I can "obtain" it, and if I like the book I'll buy the physical copy. If I don't, I delete the epub. I don't think I'll ever fully ditch the paperback though, back in my day we didn't have epub or pdf!

RagnarokRed

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
I've read one book on my iphone. It wasn't the most optimal way to read a book, but it wasn't the worst. I made the text as big as possible on the app to keep from eye strain.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
My iPhone is one of three devices that I read Kindle books on (the other being a laptop and a Kindle).

Kindle: main reading device
Laptop: useful when using a book as reference or when eating while reading :)
iPhone: for quickie reading sessions while on the go

Cooolpenner

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I don't read books on my iPhone. It's more convinient to read on the iPad. But if I hadn't an iPad, I would think about that...

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
I'm reading A Clash of Kings on my iphone with the text at its smallest size and with white on black background. Can read it no problem. The retina display is a god send.

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
yeah i read books on iphone i have read over 50 books on iphone kindle app and its great (atleast on iphone 4´s great display) now days i only use iphone when im not home becouse i bought kindle 3 a few weeks ago and it works even better.But in my opinion i would use iphone over regular books,its so much easyer and faster to read from phone than dtb.and syncing with kindle 3 and iphone works like charmed so i allways know where i left off when changing devices.

btw if you are getting eye strain from reading on iphone make sure you have your display on dimmest setting while you can still see the text properly.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I like the versatility of always having the phone with me, so yes I use it to read.

Because it was a habit before I got the iPad, I use the Kindle when I am at home.

Then when I upgraded to the latest Kindle, I find it's so much better at books than my iPad 2, I use it constantly.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yea I do the only problem is the only books I can get here are Project Gutenberg books, not a bad thing but would like more choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.