Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:36 PM   #1
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

How can I learn to code?

i was wondering if anybody here knew how to code in Xcode (or c++ or coacoa touch or what ever apple uses for application development) because i want to learn how to code an iOS application. i want to work at apple corporate in the iPhone engineering dept. but you need to know how to code so if you know how to code would you mind telling a beginner or if you know a good book for teaching beginners tell me or if you want to do both........
brandontod97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
MacBOS
macrumors 6502

Youtube is probably your best friend right now, or just taking a course
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

plee help me

i was wondering if anybody here knew how to code in Xcode (or c++ or coacoa touch or what ever apple uses for application development) because i want to learn how to code an iOS application. i want to work at apple corporate in the iPhone engineering dept. but you need to know how to code so if you know how to code would you mind telling a beginner or if you know a good book for teaching beginners tell me or if you want to do both........
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Good to see you have a long term goal there... I've got to be honest, I had the same goal when I was just starting...

Anyways, here's exactly what you're looking for:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=395605774

Start at video 1 and be sure to do the assignments as you go through all the videos.

Other than that, the official Apple iPhone Developer Documentation (the link is given in one of the lecture videos) and Google should be all you need.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Good to see you have a long term goal there... I've got to be honest, I had the same goal when I was just starting...

Start at video 1 and be sure to do the assignments as you go through all the videos.

Other than that, the official Apple iPhone Developer Documentation (the link is given in one of the lecture videos) and Google should be all you need.
thank you ArtOfWarfare that i just clicked the link and i am downloading the videos now! also have you guys heard of a book called "programming in objective-c by stephen g kochan" is it any good?

Last edited by brandontod97; Aug 13, 2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontod97 View Post
also have you guys heard of a book called "programming in objective-c by stephen g kochan" is it any good?
Highly recommended.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

Quote:

i am watching the video and its kind of complicated I'm not even sure i get what he is saying. i haven't coded a day in my life soo i need an absolute beginners guide to iOS coding. ill try to keep watching and see if it becomes clear.......

Last edited by brandontod97; Aug 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:19 PM   #8
KarlJay
macrumors 6502a

You might want to step back and learn the concept of computer programming in general before you get into Objective C. You might be trying to grasp too much at one time.
KarlJay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:51 PM   #9
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

You might want to learn C before you learn Obj-C. The book The C Programming Language (the letter C is big and blue, front and center... The word ANSI might be written to the side in red depending on the edition of the book,) was how I learned C. I personally only read the first chapter before moving on to learning iPhone programming.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:26 PM   #10
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
You might want to step back and learn the concept of computer programming in general before you get into Objective C. You might be trying to grasp too much at one time.
think your right KarlJay

Quote:
You might want to learn C before you learn Obj-C. The book The C Programming Language (the letter C is big and blue, front and center... The word ANSI might be written to the side in red depending on the edition of the book,) was how I learned C. I personally only read the first chapter before moving on to learning iPhone programming.
@ArtOfWarfare who wrote the book you are referring to?

Last edited by brandontod97; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:59 AM   #11
ethical
macrumors 68000

I started with the Kochan book. It's very good, written for an absolute beginner. It teaches you the basics of a lot of things I now don't think twice about, but back when I started baffled me. I didn't finish the book, once I got about half way through I felt confident enough to move on to iOS programming. That's when I started reading Beginning iPhone 3 Development (Now an iPhone 4 version). This book builds on a previous knowledge of the fundamentals of Obj-C, while also teaching you about the features of iOS and how to implement them in your applications.
ethical is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:42 AM   #12
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical View Post
I started with the Kochan book. It's very good, written for an absolute beginner. It teaches you the basics of a lot of things I now don't think twice about, but back when I started baffled me. I didn't finish the book, once I got about half way through I felt confident enough to move on to iOS programming. That's when I started reading Beginning iPhone 3 Development (Now an iPhone 4 version). This book builds on a previous knowledge of the fundamentals of Obj-C, while also teaching you about the features of iOS and how to implement them in your applications.
who writes the iOS coding book you are referring to?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:31 AM   #13
ethical
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontod97 View Post
who writes the iOS coding book you are referring to?
I don't know, so I googled "Beginning iPhone 4 Development".....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-iP.../dp/143023024X
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:10 PM   #14
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical View Post
I don't know, so I googled "Beginning iPhone 4 Development".....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-iP.../dp/143023024X
The same technique of Googling works quite well with the book I offered, "The C Programming Language".
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:43 PM   #15
firewood
macrumors 603

University coursework towards a degree in engineering and/or computer science would be a good start. There's a ton more learn about coding than can be found in just a couple books.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:08 PM   #16
brandontod97
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The same technique of Googling works quite well with the book I offered, "The C Programming Language".
i found the book you were referring to and I'm going to see where i can get it
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:52 AM   #17
iOS Developer
macrumors newbie

I recommend Sams, teach yourself iPhone Application development in 24 hours: http://amzn.to/glOHus - Its is what I am using..
iOS Developer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:10 AM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOS Developer View Post
I recommend Sams, teach yourself iPhone Application development in 24 hours: http://amzn.to/glOHus - Its is what I am using..
Incorrect Original: I'd like to point out the fact that there is no need to actually purchase the book, as the first 691 pages of the 692 page book are available for preview. Just click on the "Click to Look Inside" button right above the picture of the cover of the book.

Edit: The above comment is incorrect. I was looking through the preview, noticed it seemed to be an awfully long preview, decided to skip to the end and noticed the last page included was page 691 of 692. The preview appears to just have the foreword material, the first chapter (of 24), and the index.

Last edited by ArtOfWarfare; Aug 16, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming