Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
I'm trying to pick a new pb to replace my aging 12" ibook. I love the extreme portability of the small ibook, but would like to be able to read text more easily. In particular, I'd like to know how the 15" and 17" pb compare for reading a full page of text in acrobat reader.

If I get the 15" I'll upgrade both the video and hd, so the only other difference would be weight.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
macux said:
I'm trying to pick a new pb to replace my aging 12" ibook. I love the extreme portability of the small ibook, but would like to be able to read text more easily. In particular, I'd like to know how the 15" and 17" pb compare for reading a full page of text in acrobat reader.

If I get the 15" I'll upgrade both the video and hd, so the only other difference would be weight.

I can view two pages side by side on my 15" but it can get a little crowded and I sometimes have to resize the windows. I my brother in law's brother has a brand new 17" and it's amazing. The resolution is awesome and you can easily view a lot more windows. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not as portable as the 12" and 15". I feel great when I carry my 15" around but I get queezy and nervous whenever I pick the 17" up. For easier portability, get the 15". If you feel comfortable weilding the 17", get that one.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Agree with Pismo.

The best way (and the ONLY way) is to visit your Apple Dealer and test drive both the 15" and 17". Since $$$ was not the problem for me, I was about to get the 17". But after playing around with it and carrying it around in the apple store, I realized that it wasn't very portable (my own preference, I'm pretty sure other MR members with 17" would disagree). Also, the screen was wider than the 15". Great for watching movies, illustrator, Photoshop). So I got the 15" PB instead. Great machine!!!

Let us know what you decided! :)

macux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Nailed down in mac store

Eevee said:
Agree with Pismo.

The best way (and the ONLY way) is to visit your Apple Dealer and test drive both the 15" and 17". Since $$$ was not the problem for me, I was about to get the 17". But after playing around with it and carrying it around in the apple store, I realized that it wasn't very portable (my own preference, I'm pretty sure other MR members with 17" would disagree). Also, the screen was wider than the 15". Great for watching movies, illustrator, Photoshop). So I got the 15" PB instead. Great machine!!!

Let us know what you decided! :)

That's basically the question, weight versus readability. But, they're usually nailed down in the apple store, and walking it around the store isn't quite the same as carrying it through security at the airport.

Has anyone ended up with the 17"?

bbcountach

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
My brother has a 15''. After seeing and carrying that, i wouldn't go for the 17 unless you really needed the screen space. Its cheaper, lighter, and easier to carry. I agree with Pismo. Have fun and let us know what the results are!
-B

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I had a 15" for a few months but now have a 17", I would never go back, I'm in love with the extra screen space and the ultra slim design. :) I find it very portable, you just need the right gear. I'm using a bag/sleeve from WaterField Designs. It's a perfect combination.

Also... the speakers are a lot better on the 17". Lots of problems with the speakers in the 15".

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
I went into the Apple store last weekend first customer in the morning and wasn't sure what I would walk out with. It's not like you're some weakling and can't carry 6.9 lbs from one airport gate to another! I wasn't sure about it either, but it just isn't that much bigger for the benefit of the screen. It is literally the same width of a standard 19" monitor. And it was maybe $150 more than the loaded 15" with 128 VRam and 100 gb hard drive. I figured I'm gonna spend all this money, I am going to get the top of the line from Apple.

macux said:
That's basically the question, weight versus readability. But, they're usually nailed down in the apple store, and walking it around the store isn't quite the same as carrying it through security at the airport.

Has anyone ended up with the 17"?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just a note about reading those "small" fonts on a 12" iBook:

The text size on a 12" and 15" is going to be around the same. The 15" is a larger screen, but the resolution is also higher. I'd say the text size appears around the same on any of those systems, including the 17" PB. If you definitely want your fonts to look larger than on your 12" iBook, get a 14" iBook. Same resolution, larger screen.

Sorry, I just don't want you to buy a 15" PB expecting the text to be massive or something. It'll pretty much be the same.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Get 15" - its so cool!!! :D I saw both 17 abd 15 @ Apple Store, and thought that 15 is more light, and portable and it has better proportions

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
go for the 15" you get more extra's for the same money you can spend on a basic 17"...

17" is great as desktop replacement, ideally if you only need it on two locations, but I wouldn't drag that with me everywhere... too big

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
All of my professors have 17s and laugh at me for my "toy" (12" PB) except one, and she wished she had gotten the 12 because the majority of the time she uses her book its closed and hooked up to a 20" monitor...so the 17 is just waisting space. Personally I have no problem viewing things on my 12" and I doubt I would upgrade to the 15 ever...the only thing I like better is more performance options. Hopefully those will trickle down to the 12" form factor for people like me that like a small book that you can put a sleave on a toss into your backpack.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Abstract said:

The text size on a 12" and 15" is going to be around the same. The 15" is a larger screen, but the resolution is also higher. I'd say the text size appears around the same on any of those systems, including the 17" PB. If you definitely want your fonts to look larger than on your 12" iBook, get a 14" iBook. Same resolution, larger screen.

Sorry, I just don't want you to buy a 15" PB expecting the text to be massive or something. It'll pretty much be the same.

But of course, if you want to blow something up (read a pdf at 150%, for example) you can do that on a larger screen to a a greater degree while still fitting it on screen. The ppi might be similar, but it is in this way easier to make text bigger on a screen with more pixels.

To put it another way, if expanding a Word document to an acceptable size takes, say, 1440 pixels to fit entirely on screen with no horizontal scrollbar, the 17" is going to do a better job showing it than the 15" at 1280 max. pixels. No, one is not actually bigger than the other, but the larger screen can let you see more of it at once. To see all of it on the 15" screen you'd have to shrink it.

macux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Abstract said:

What I'm really interested in is the combination of screen size and resolution that will allow me to read pdf docs in "fit page" view. On my 12" ibook this is unreadable. If the 15" pb can do this in a readable way, I'd opt for it and save the weight. Money isn't the issue, I'm more concerned about being willing to lug the 17 incher.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
joecool85 said:
All of my professors have 17s and laugh at me for my "toy" (12" PB) except one, and she wished she had gotten the 12 because the majority of the time she uses her book its closed and hooked up to a 20" monitor...so the 17 is just waisting space. Personally I have no problem viewing things on my 12" and I doubt I would upgrade to the 15 ever...the only thing I like better is more performance options. Hopefully those will trickle down to the 12" form factor for people like me that like a small book that you can put a sleave on a toss into your backpack.

Most faculty members here as well as special guest speakers use teh 12" PB. Am suprised your profs use 17"s!!! Hmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.