Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Too many crashes on Adobe CS5 products, Aperture 3 video problems, Countless screen redraw problems... Try Street view in Safari and see... screen stuttering, more beach balls than I used to get, hate Mission Control, hate the grayscale icons, no multi-screen support in full screen mode, too many other things to mention...
Very disappointed. :(

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Too many crashes on Adobe CS5 products, Aperture 3 video problems, Countless screen redraw problems... Try Street view in Safari and see... screen stuttering, more beach balls than I used to get, hate Mission Control, hate the grayscale icons, no multi-screen support in full screen mode, too many other things to mention...

I did go back to SL on both of my machines. I thought that Lion sucked big-time and brought very little to my computing experience. It did however manage to take a lot away from my computing experience.

I didn't run into any of the problems that you are experiencing with Adobe and Aperture. I use Photoshop CS5 and Aperture 3. Both seemed to operate OK under Lion though switching between them via the ruined Spaces as really obnoxious.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I did go back to SL on both of my machines. I thought that Lion sucked big-time and brought very little to my computing experience. It did however manage to take a lot away from my computing experience.

I didn't run into any of the problems that you are experiencing with Adobe and Aperture. I use Photoshop CS5 and Aperture 3. Both seemed to operate OK under Lion though switching between them via the ruined Spaces as really obnoxious.

I get many crashes on Photoshop CS5. Mainly while saving, not while working.
I save a file successfully and then it crashes. It's strange...
Aperture doesn't crash but it feels slower. Also, I use 2 screens and the second one has huge video cutoffs while in full screen. Also RAW files now take 2 to 3 seconds to "clean up" I am even on a SSD... It used to be fast as hell.
Like you said, Lion doesn't bring anything to the computing experience. In fact, they made it too consumer oriented. I don't care for a MacPro that behaves like a "Big iPad"... I already have an iPad 2...

Last edited by a moderator:

artguy3d

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Going back to Snow Leopard on this machine tonight - that's why I'm looking at this thread.

Lion is Lame - and that comes from a true mac fan. It is really a miss for me and I think goes backwards more than it goes forward. Kinda good for beginners I guess.

As a power user I'm skipping Lion (other than sticking it on a separate partition for occasional testing) and will maybe look at upgrading again when we get Lion2 or whatever is next.

janvanloan

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Going back to Snow Leopard

I downloaded and installed Lion without really thinking about it. it was a new Mac Program and it was cheap.

However, i run both Parallels and VM Ware on the Mac because is need to run Microsoft Project and i have not been able to find a version that will run native on the Mac. I have downloaded and tried Fasttrack but it can't compare with Project.

Now i can get Project up and running on either of my simulator programs and it works, but it will not allow me to print out on A3 size paper.

Does anyone either know how to fix this problem, or tell me how to remove Lion from my computer and go back to Snow Leopard?

Or is there a version of Microsoft Project that will run native on the Mac like "Office" does?

Jan

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
First of all If vmware or Parallel doesn't let you print A3 inside of the programs (if i understood) Correctly it's not a lion issue

#2 you cannot go back to SL like that

You need to format your drive and reinstall SL

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I am also going back so SL. I have reinstalled (Fresh installs) 3 times now and I just continue to have problems. Very slow boots, lots of apps locking up, spinning beach ball like I have never seen and I constantly lose internet connection and connection to my NAS. Oh and its very slow at time. I want to like Lion but will have to wait until some issues are sorted out. SL runs like a dream so I will just have to stick with that for a while until Apple releases some updates.

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
Or you could just wait a week or two for an update instead of reverting back and forth. I've always run the 1.0 release of every OS X, and each time (with the possible exception of 10.6, which was pretty clean out of the box), there are bugs that crop up and are taken care of with the first .1 update.

I'm on 10.7 and have been seen launch day. I did an upgrade, found it was buggy, and then did a clean install. Except for the Safari memory leak bug (which means I have to close Safari every couple of days and open it back up), Lion is relatively polished and bug free for me. But even if it wasn't, I don't think it would be worth the effort to revert to 10.6 and then update again in a couple of weeks.

Patboy247

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I had all the same problems with lion as the op on my 2011 i7 MBP. It got so bad that when i tried to boot from the sl install disc it kernel panicked and the one that came with the computer said it was unable to wipe the drive or put SL on a spare partition. So i had to bring in my laptop to the apple store and have them wipe it. TONS of graphical errors running lion especially when i was running dual monitor. Also i agree with the above that it feels like a step back for power users more than anything. I will not be reinstalling lion on this computer at any point. Maybe if 10.8 is any better i will but i cant afford to be wasting my time with ios features that dont make sense on a non touchscreen device.

janvanloan

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Going back to Snow Leopard

First of all, it is good to read that i am not such a Turkey and that the problem was with me.

Now, I may not be a Turkey, but I'm also not a Super computer wiz. Could someone run me through the steps that i should take to get that big ***** off my computer and put that sexy Snow Leopard back where she belongs?

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
HUge osx fan as well here and I am going back to SL on both my 2009 MB and 2011 IMac 27 inch.

WOW, this thing blows. I thought apple would hit it out of the park but they definitely struck out in a big fashion.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I couldn't personally go back, but I do have Snow Leopard installed on a partition of an external USB drive. Any time I have booted into Snow Leopard, I've found myself looking forward to going back to Lion, I just prefer it and the speed improvements over Snow Leopard.

Obviously if there are programs you rely on, power programs especially (CS5, Aperture, Final Cut) which don't seem to run as well on Lion, then it makes sense to return to Snow Leopard.

For me personally though, as someone who only uses Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and from time to time Aperture, Lion has been superb thus far.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I just switched back to SL.

Main reasons being the graphics drivers suck and so does power management on my 13" 2010 MBP.

My international flight will be better with SL.

I might switch back eventually, but the new preview drives me nuts too and crashes way too much.

Going to miss the new mail and FS apps mostly...

everything else, meh.

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

Bridge is very buggy for me too, and many bugs everywhere all the time (keyboard not working, etc...).

I'd say wait for 10.7.1 because it should be coming quite soon, if that doesn't fix things, then go back to Snow Leopard.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Had a friend who went back and is happy. I'm just lucky I suppose with three macs and no problems at all. I'll enjoy iCloud and such I guess and he wont.

iCloud is a joke. All that syncing is available already from 3rd party. .Mac and the rest of Apples forays into server based storage has been and continue to be a pathetic, slow, expensive joke to me.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I gave up with Lion for now, there were many video problems, even iTunes will have choppy performance. Even Lightroom had problems.

I'll be back to Lion after third revision or so.

Back in 10.6.8 feels faster and no audio/video problems yet.

----------

Going to miss the new mail and FS apps mostly...

Try out sparrow mail

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
Maybe I'm having a BrainFart(TM) but I'm looking at "going back" and Time Machine isn't offering that option. Snow Leopard install disk also isn't having any of it.

I can do a reformat and install SL, which means hours of restoring files (I'm a backup fiend, so that's not an issue). Is Time Machine my friend or enemy in restoring files when I'm back in SL? (I've never actually used Time Machine)

(I would love to set up an external drive with SL that I can boot from, but the SL installer won't even run on my Lion-equipped MBP, and I don't have another Mac handy to play with.

I feel I'm missing something obvious here. Suggestions?

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I have been back on 10.6.8 for over a week now, flying along on all 4 machines.

Maybe Lion will be stable and work well by, oh, 10.7.3, but it is total garbage for any pro users who have sophisticated operatives on high end workstations and even MacBook Pros. One of my clients who is a design firm put it on 6 machines as a partition and found it so buggy and the new features SO amateur land, they just got rid of it altogether even though they were still doing primary boot out of 10.6.8.

Like I said, maybe it will be worthy of an "OSX" level designation by the end of the year, but right now it is pretty much a super buggy iOS for your mac, total crap.

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
I have been back on 10.6.8 for over a week now, flying along on all 4 machines.

Maybe Lion will be stable and work well by, oh, 10.7.3, but it is total garbage for any pro users who have sophisticated operatives on high end workstations and even MacBook Pros. One of my clients who is a design firm put it on 6 machines as a partition and found it so buggy and the new features SO amateur land, they just got rid of it altogether even though they were still doing primary boot out of 10.6.8.

Like I said, maybe it will be worthy of an "OSX" level designation by the end of the year, but right now it is pretty much a super buggy iOS for your mac, total crap.

Well, to be fair, all of you who are reverting to SL are using clean installs (that's the sense I'm getting), and I think very few of you are running a clean install of Lion, which requires burning the DMG image that you download from the App Store to a USB drive or DVD. It doesn't make too much sense to compare a clean install of an OS to an upgrade, even if that is the official and preferred route by Apple.

And besides, 10.7.1 was just released today- I'm sure a fresh install, followed by this new patch will take care of surprising amount of bugs. All the bugs I experienced (including Lion forgetting my elastic scrolling settings) vanished when I clean installed, and the bug on my wife's MacBook Air (wouldn't auto-reconnect to wifi) has been fixed with the latest update. This kind of stuff is par for the course for those of us who have been on the platform for a while, nothing to get excited about.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
"Well, to be fair, all of you who are reverting to SL are using clean installs (that's the sense I'm getting), and I think very few of you are running a clean install of Lion, which requires burning the DMG image that you download from the App Store to a USB drive or DVD. It doesn't make too much sense to compare a clean install of an OS to an upgrade, even if that is the official and preferred route by Apple."

Actually, I'd bet most people are not reverting to clean installs--too much bother when most folks have Time Machine backups (or clones) of their SL systems.

I know I didn't. Why would I? My SL system *worked* and wasn't amateur hour with bugs and half-baked features.

If Apple can't actually make Lion work on an upgrade, when their OS is downloadable and designed to do that, it's a failure. Full stop and no excuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.