Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
How to show all files (hidden) in Lion?

I've got a external usb hard drive I use back and forth between my car and my MBP. The external hard drive is formatted FAT32 and I need to find all of the files that Windows leaves behind, which I believe they are hidden.
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
res1233
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I've got a external usb hard drive I use back and forth between my car and my MBP. The external hard drive is formatted FAT32 and I need to find all of the files that Windows leaves behind, which I believe they are hidden.
Run this script in the AppleScript Editor app in the utilities folder.

Code:
tell application "Finder" to quit
display dialog "Show Hidden Files..." buttons {"ON", "OFF"} 
  default button 3
copy the result as list to {buttonpressed}

try
  if the buttonpressed is "OFF" then do shell script 
    "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF"
  if the buttonpressed is "ON" then do shell script 
    "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON"
end try

tell application "Finder" to launch
res1233 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Wow long for nothing

Paste this in terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

also if it doesn't work add sudo
Ratatapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Guys, I'm a rookie Mac user. I probably shouldn't be playing around in Terminal.

Anything else?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Dude it's nothing bad I promise

Open terminal and paste this

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

If it gives you an error paste it that way

sudo defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

then enter your account password

then close terminal that is all just a copy and paste

----------

If you are really scared to blow everything up

just do this

http://gigaom.com/apple/quick-tip-sh...-hidden-files/


And has a tip you should learn how to use Terminal. CLI is the base of Unix systems
Ratatapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Trying to turn if off now. It asks for my account password but as I input it, the cursor doesn't move.
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Normal it's security

just write it and press enter

P.s Even for security if you put a wrong letter you cannot erase it

So if you put a wrong letter just press enter and restart
Ratatapa is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
Normal it's security

just write it and press enter

P.s Even for security if you put a wrong letter you cannot erase it

So if you put a wrong letter just press enter and restart


I keep putting in my password and it says SORRY, TRY AGAIN
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
then you are entering wrong characters

Make sure to use caps if your password has caps and all

Going to sleep hope it will be fixed for you

So did it work

Last edited by annk; Aug 14, 2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Post merge
Ratatapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:37 AM   #10
blastoboy1000
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
For whatever reason, the trick of using an AppleScript doesn't seem to work to show hidden files. Instead, this terminal command works fine:
Code:
defaults read com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder
To disable it, change TRUE to FALSE. I see that you've also put that you're a new user, scared of the Terminal, to which I ask why you need to get rid of the invisible Windows files. Mac OS adds far more invisible files than Windows does, and none of them should affect the drive's ability to work in your car; they're just files, same as all your mp3s. Also, this won't blow anything up, I promise.

If you're insistent on sticking with the Automator workflow (which does nothing more besides automate running that Terminal command), you can just save it as an Application (that linked article was from 2007, so things have changed a bit), and it'll work as expected.

Last edited by annk; Aug 14, 2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Clean-up after thread merge
blastoboy1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
msmith8978
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Thank you

Ratatapa nailed it. Thanks, you saved me a lot of time!
msmith8978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Taita
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I dunno how that worked for you, but for me it wasn't just a matter of showing all the files, but I had to use terminal to navigate to the external drive in the first place, or else any modifications made in terminal would be made in the default drive (i.e. your mac's main HD)

In terminal first you would have to navigate using

cd "/Volumes/My External Harddrive"

where 'My External Harddrive' would be the name of your actual harddrive (i.e. 'Untitled')

after which, your termal lines will start off with

YourCompName:ExternalHDName UserName$

At this point, then you can command it to show hidden files using

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

It took me forever to figure this out, but I had to do it this way. I kept just entering "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder" and yes, it did show all the hidden files on my harddrive, but not the hidden files on the Ext HD. Not until I switched the terminal to the actual external HD did it show THOSE hidden files.
Taita is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:57 AM   #13
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
You can press <command><shift> <period> in any File dialog (i.e. open/save window) to toggle showing or hiding Hidden files.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 06:22 PM   #14
JHRB
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
External Harddrive with Hidden Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taita View Post
I dunno how that worked for you, but for me it wasn't just a matter of showing all the files, but I had to use terminal to navigate to the external drive in the first place, or else any modifications made in terminal would be made in the default drive (i.e. your mac's main HD)

In terminal first you would have to navigate using

cd "/Volumes/My External Harddrive"

where 'My External Harddrive' would be the name of your actual harddrive (i.e. 'Untitled')

after which, your termal lines will start off with

YourCompName:ExternalHDName UserName$

At this point, then you can command it to show hidden files using

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

It took me forever to figure this out, but I had to do it this way. I kept just entering "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder" and yes, it did show all the hidden files on my harddrive, but not the hidden files on the Ext HD. Not until I switched the terminal to the actual external HD did it show THOSE hidden files.
Your post was SOOOO helpful. I was able to retrieve old profiles with this process and move them to a new PC. Thank you. :-)
JHRB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show hidden files not working in Mavericks BlueGummiBear OS X Mavericks (10.9) 40 Jun 24, 2014 09:10 PM
Problem showing hidden files in Mountain Lion Meyerr OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Nov 20, 2013 11:17 PM
How to show hidden files zombilly OS X 4 Mar 24, 2013 08:36 AM
hidden files on my HDD are to stay hidden forever???help falconb Mac Basics and Help 11 Oct 11, 2012 02:30 PM
Show Hidden Files in ML slrandall OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Aug 1, 2012 09:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC