Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:43 AM   #1
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Scrolling blocks thread?

I have a UILabel that informs the user how much time is left in a round of my game. Here's the code:

Code:
startDate = [[NSDate alloc] init];
updateClockTimer = [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.1 target:self selector:@selector(updateClock) userInfo:nil repeats:YES];
Code:
- (void)updateClock
{
    double totalSecs = [startDate timeIntervalSinceNow] + SECS_PER_ROUND;
    int mins = totalSecs/60;
    int secs = (int)totalSecs%60;
    int deca = (int)(totalSecs * 10)%10;
    rightScore.text = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%i:%.2i.%i", mins, secs, deca];
}
It normally displays and updates properly, except when a UIScrollView is scrolling. I suspect the action of scrolling is somehow blocking the main thread, but I'm not really sure as I don't have a particularly firm grasp on understanding how threading works.

Could someone offer me a solution for how to make my countdown timer to continue updating even when scrolling?

Last edited by ArtOfWarfare; Aug 13, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:14 AM   #2
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

While scrolling, the main run loop moves out of the default mode. You can try manually adding your NSTimer to the main NSRunLoop so it fires in all modes.

Code:
updateClockTimer = [NSTimer timerWithTimeInterval:0.1 target:self selector:@selector(updateClock) userInfo:NULL repeats:YES];
[[NSRunLoop mainRunLoop] addTimer:updateClockTimer forMode:NSRunLoopCommonModes];
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:26 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaus View Post
While scrolling, the main run loop moves out of the default mode. You can try manually adding your NSTimer to the main NSRunLoop so it fires in all modes.

Code:
updateClockTimer = [NSTimer timerWithTimeInterval:0.1 target:self selector:@selector(updateClock) userInfo:NULL repeats:YES];
[[NSRunLoop mainRunLoop] addTimer:updateClockTimer forMode:NSRunLoopCommonModes];
Thanks! That worked perfectly!
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming