Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1
orvn
macrumors 6502

Where can I download older versions of OS X?

I'm looking for an older version OSX to put on my old Macbook (polycarbonate, intel core duo), which I recently fixed after buying some parts.

Is there any place I could download Tiger or Leopard from?

I called my nearest Apple Store and they said that they don't have Tiger or Leopard (which surprises me because I thought they would be able to do installs on older machines).

I know I could order CD's for 15 bux via phone, but I just don't want to wait forever for delivery, which makes downloading the best option (I don't mind paying).

Anyone know where I would look?
I couldn't find a healthy torrent.
I don't really care if the solution is legitimate or illegitimate, I just want this computer up and running
orvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

There is no legal place to download Mac OS X. You'll have to order it online (eBay) or from Apple via phone.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Cole JM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvn View Post
I'm looking for an older version OSX to put on my old Macbook (polycarbonate, intel core duo), which I recently fixed after buying some parts.

Is there any place I could download Tiger or Leopard from?

I called my nearest Apple Store and they said that they don't have Tiger or Leopard (which surprises me because I thought they would be able to do installs on older machines).

I know I could order CD's for 15 bux via phone, but I just don't want to wait forever for delivery, which makes downloading the best option (I don't mind paying).

I don't really care if the solution is legitimate or illegitimate, I just want this computer up and running
People giving you places to illegally download the OS's would be violating the TOS of these forums. Also, Be patient and wait for delivery, do things the right way the first time.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:07 PM   #4
orvn
macrumors 6502

Thanks, I wasn't aware that that was a terms violation, looks like I found someone on Craigslist though!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole JM View Post
People giving you places to illegally download the OS's would be violating the TOS of these forums. Also, Be patient and wait for delivery, do things the right way the first time.
It may violate the MacRumors terms but morally it sounds ok to me After all the MacBook he fixed came with the version of OS X he's looking to download.

Try a Google search for "OS X Tiger DMG" or "OS X Leopard DMG" also try including the decimal version in the search (ex: 10.5.8).

Oh and FYI Snow Leopard works on the Core Duo's (Apple stores should still stock that). Make sure you have >2GB RAM though.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:13 AM   #6
orvn
macrumors 6502

OK GET THIS.

First I bought Intel Tiger CD's from a guy on Craigslist this afternoon.

Next my friend gets back to me on Facebook and gives me his Leopard DVD.

I put the Leopard DVD in to boot it, and it wouldn't fit. Eject button didn't work, so I did a hard eject to find a Snow Leopard DVD!

So now I have Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard Discs. Got them all in a 24 hour timespan.

And you guys told me to wait :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
It may violate the MacRumors terms but morally it sounds ok to me After all the MacBook he fixed came with the version of OS X he's looking to download.

Try a Google search for "OS X Tiger DMG" or "OS X Leopard DMG" also try including the decimal version in the search (ex: 10.5.8).

Oh and FYI Snow Leopard works on the Core Duo's (Apple stores should still stock that). Make sure you have >2GB RAM though.

Yeah. I don't see this as ethically unsound either. I've bought quite a few copies of various versions of OSX before (incl. the aforementioned recently found one). Part of the issue is that they're so hard to obtain. This encourages piracy.

Last edited by orvn; Aug 14, 2011 at 01:06 AM.
orvn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:36 AM   #7
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

please arrest orvn for illegal downloading apple software from torrent!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:49 PM   #8
throner
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.24851/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrottie
He bought one disc, was given a second, and found a third in his own disc drive. Would you mind pointing out for me exactly where this downloading happened?
throner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:06 PM   #9
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrottie View Post
He/she stated that they couldn't find a torrent, so obviously no file sharing took place - intentions don't mean jack.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:20 PM   #10
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
OK GET THIS.

First I bought Intel Tiger CD's from a guy on Craigslist this afternoon.

Next my friend gets back to me on Facebook and gives me his Leopard DVD.

I put the Leopard DVD in to boot it, and it wouldn't fit. Eject button didn't work, so I did a hard eject to find a Snow Leopard DVD!

So now I have Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard Discs. Got them all in a 24 hour timespan.
That's hilarious. Glad everything worked out for you.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrottie View Post
Use a smilie next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throner View Post
He bought one disc, was given a second, and found a third in his own disc drive. Would you mind pointing out for me exactly where this downloading happened?
Apparently tongue-in-cheek
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:49 PM   #12
throner
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.24851/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Maybe that's what Apple needs in OS X 10.8, emotion embedded in the text. Smilies would be obsolete, we'd just sense it.
throner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:52 AM   #13
DustinT
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by throner View Post

Maybe that's what Apple needs in OS X 10.8, emotion embedded in the text. Smilies would be obsolete, we'd just sense it.
That would be like... TALKING!

iTalking...

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:39 AM   #14
orvn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
That would be like... TALKING!

iTalking...
When I'm serious my text is serif, when I'm joking my text is sans?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
When I'm serious my text is serif, when I'm joking my text is sans?
Comic Sans?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X