Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
mac06
macrumors newbie

How to close page when dialog box with 'OK' button appears

In Safari, when a bad web page loads a dialog box with an 'OK' button, how can you close the window without clicking the button? I don't want to click 'OK' on a site like this, as you might get a virus or some malware. The only way I can get rid of it now is to close the application, but that's ridiculous.
Is there some way to close a page with such a dialog box when it appears?
mac06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac06 View Post
In Safari, when a bad web page loads a dialog box with an 'OK' button, how can you close the window without clicking the button? I don't want to click 'OK' on a site like this, as you might get a virus or some malware. The only way I can get rid of it now is to close the application, but that's ridiculous.
Is there some way to close a page with such a dialog box when it appears?
You can't get a virus or malware infecting your Mac simply by clicking on a website. That being said, some sites pop up those dialog boxes and whether you click OK or cancel, it just pops up another box. For such sites, just kill Safari.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
Mac Virus/Malware Info
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
mac06
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. It's ridiculous that Safari doesn't provide the user a way to close a window with a dialog box blocking all views in the browser.
As that link says, the only way bad things get on to your computer is by "inviting them in" by clicking on something. It'd be easy for someone to replicate a dialog box and get users to click on something.
mac06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store