Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hy, I remember that when I wanted to buy my iPhone 3GS 2 years ago, on the Apple website, there was a page where it explained how you could use your iPhone 3GS to let your Macbook (pro) connect to the internet.

Now, I can't find any information of it anymore.
Does anyone know how you can do that?

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Do what? Jailbreak or tether?

Tether via USB is easiest, just turn on Personal Hotspot on the phone then plug in the sync cable.

To Tether via bluetooth you'll need to pair your phone with your computer first.

Also, if you're on AT&T you have to subscribe to the tethering plan to get that personal hotspot menu.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Well, I'm from Belgium and I'm with MV (Mobile Vikings) an they support it for free :)

I'll see tomorrow if I can use it and if it works.

Thanks for the help already.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Well it used to be simple. Just download PDANet or Easy tether and connect your phone to your computer and viola!

But now Verizon and AT&T are blocking the use of these apps. Not entirely sure if it is legal but safe to say I seriously doubt it. In order to block the use of it on your phone, they would have to search your phone electronically and that calls into question of 4th Amendment rights. They cannot simply search your phone based on the premise that you might be doing something that is cheating them out of revenue. So far, no one has risen to file a class action but I am sure one is inevitable. In the meantime, Verizon has blocked me. Too bad I am not a hacker - I would inflict equal justice for what they have done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.