Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1
charlenec123
macrumors newbie

Is there any way to recover deleted SMS messages on the iPhone 4?

So I was on my iPhone today and I got a message from a random person and I wanted to delete it. So I swiped my finger across the first entry in my Messages folder and hit delete. Then I looked at my screen and saw the same message, still there. Then I realized that I deleted the wrong one. I had deleted the entry for one of my friends who I've been texting for years now. I don't know how to get all our messages back. Is there any possible way? Please tell me there is.
charlenec123 is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:23 PM   #2
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

Don't think so. A device like that doesn't usually have a "Trash" directory like a computer. Once you delete something it is marked as free space.

It's possible you could take it to a data recovery place and have them recover the messages, but that would be expensive.
upaymeifixit is offline   1
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Dave Felix
macrumors 6502a

contact your provider? Thats kind of tough man
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

if you've backed up your phone via iTunes, all of your messages will still be there as of that point. Hopefully you do it often and wont lose many of the new ones..
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Orion126
macrumors regular

As long as the deleted text hasn't been overwritten by other data you can use Undelete SMS on a jailbroken iPhone. It's not a free program but you should be able to copy/pasta onto your notepad.

Hope that helps!
Orion126 is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
-YK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes Monster View Post
if you've backed up your phone via iTunes, all of your messages will still be there as of that point. Hopefully you do it often and wont lose many of the new ones..
That's the way I have done it before. Definitely the most simple.
-YK is offline   0
Old Sep 3, 2011, 02:53 PM   #7
h4lp m3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion126 View Post
As long as the deleted text hasn't been overwritten by other data you can use Undelete SMS on a jailbroken iPhone. It's not a free program but you should be able to copy/pasta onto your notepad.

Hope that helps!
I paid $7 for that app and it didn't work!
They DO NOT give refunds either
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:29 PM   #8
johnfoster
macrumors newbie

These guys have a free trial program which lets you see if your deleted sms messages are recoverable. http://www.deciphertools.com
johnfoster is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #9
mtreys
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlenec123 View Post
So I was on my iPhone today and I got a message from a random person and I wanted to delete it. So I swiped my finger across the first entry in my Messages folder and hit delete. Then I looked at my screen and saw the same message, still there. Then I realized that I deleted the wrong one. I had deleted the entry for one of my friends who I've been texting for years now. I don't know how to get all our messages back. Is there any possible way? Please tell me there is.
While you won't be able to restore any deleted messages, look for a program that will backup your messages in case you accidentally do this again. I use PhoneView from eCamm...I think that's who made it. It cost me $20 and has been the best app I've bought recently. It will save all of your messages and will allow you to export them to PDF or CSV file. It also saves your call logs and voicemails. It's a wonderful app and one that I absolutely swear by now.
mtreys is offline   0
Old Jul 1, 2012, 06:31 AM   #10
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4lp m3 View Post
I paid $7 for that app and it didn't work!
They DO NOT give refunds either
Works on my 4S 5.1.1
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:27 AM   #11
wiliswene
macrumors newbie

It's not a free program but you should be able to copy/pasta onto your notepad.
wiliswene is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:39 AM   #12
sheels
Banned

Dr.Fone

There is a Software named Dr.Fone for iPhone 4 which can recover deleted iPhone text messages. It did a decent job recovering my iPhone 4 SMS without even any iTunes backup.
sheels is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Ajaes
Banned

I don't think you it recovery deleted messages from an ios device.
Ajaes is offline   0
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:48 AM   #14
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

If you back up to iCloud or iTunes, and have not backed up since you deleted the messages, you can restore the backup and they will come back.

Caveat: You will lose all changes made to the phone since the last backup. Whether this is acceptable is entirely up to you.

Simply "erase all content and settings" and restore from the backup.
zorinlynx is offline   1
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:37 AM   #15
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
If you back up to iCloud or iTunes, and have not backed up since you deleted the messages, you can restore the backup and they will come back.

Caveat: You will lose all changes made to the phone since the last backup. Whether this is acceptable is entirely up to you.

Simply "erase all content and settings" and restore from the backup.
Exactly.

Folks, SMS text messages are backed up with the iPhone - whether it's locally or to iCloud. If you've already written over the backup that had them (as in, backed up after the delete) then they're gone.

If you still have a backup available from a time where you had the messages on your iPhone, all you have to do is erase the iPhone and restore from that backup. Simple as pie.

In fact, I just went through that recently, and it worked without a problem. Only things I lost were some photos in the camera roll (taken after that backup) but they were up in Photo Stream anyway.
SkippyThorson is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting