Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
in this picture for example. is there a way to have the "photo" folder from my network share display in the "favorites" list on the left side?

thanks

Reactions: andreszs

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I actually just discovered this myself last night.

First, select "Show Path Bar" under Finder->View. This will show the breadcrumb path at the bottom. Next, go into the network folder you want to add. At the very left it will have the root folder with the network drive icon. Drag that over to your favorites.

This was vexing me as in SL I was sure I could do it from the network browser, but can't recall. Mac OS Xperts may know of a better/easier/more "correct" way, but this has accomplished what I was looking to do. Good luck!

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011

First, select "Show Path Bar" under Finder->View. This will show the breadcrumb path at the bottom. Next, go into the network folder you want to add. At the very left it will have the root folder with the network drive icon. Drag that over to your favorites.

This was vexing me as in SL I was sure I could do it from the network browser, but can't recall. Mac OS Xperts may know of a better/easier/more "correct" way, but this has accomplished what I was looking to do. Good luck!

That worked perfectly!!

Thanks.

And to the other guy, no simply dragging the folder wouldn't work. Apparently you need to drag from the path bar. Thanks again...this was starting to annoy me. lol

bedeez

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Still can't...

For some reason even following these steps I can't add a network drive folder to my favorites. It's a folder I use all the time so it would be super helpful to have a shortcut. I'm using Lion and I can add it as a shortcut in finder windows to the right of the left/right buttons, but it won't show up in other windows (specifically the windows that pop up when you want to attach files, for example).

When I add the folder, it acts like it is getting added (the blue lines appear between favorite shortcuts that are already there), and it shows up for about a millisecond and then disappears. weird huh???

bedeez

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Nevermind... was able to add it to the Devices list.

For some reason even following these steps I can't add a network drive folder to my favorites. It's a folder I use all the time so it would be super helpful to have a shortcut. I'm using Lion and I can add it as a shortcut in finder windows to the right of the left/right buttons, but it won't show up in other windows (specifically the windows that pop up when you want to attach files, for example).

When I add the folder, it acts like it is getting added (the blue lines appear between favorite shortcuts that are already there), and it shows up for about a millisecond and then disappears. weird huh???

mattcampbell

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
I have the same issue. It seems that you can't add a Windows share to the favourites but you can add an AFP share.

As described the windows share looks like it will be added when you drag it to favourites but when you release the mouse it briefly appears before disappearing.

But as pointed out windows shares will add to the devices list in the sidebar.

Seems buggy.

jig1056

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010

Thanks this worked for me in 10.9

greenvomit8

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
technopimp's solution worked for me

Am using osx 10.9.2.
I have been looking for this solution for years.
Thank you

ntsarb

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014

I've just tried this on OS X 10.10.3 and it doesn't work. I can see the icon being dragged but it remains greyed out when over the Favourites region.

Any other way of adding an SMB Share to the favourites?

Many thanks and regards,

Nikos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.