Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
OS X Lion: Speaker Grayed Out Workaround

This is a problem that appears on many OS X Lion machines where the speaker icon on the menu bar randomly or consistently grays itself out. The most common solutions are to plug in/out a headphone into the jack or opening up Terminal and typing "sudo killall coreaudiod" which can be cumbersome and annoying to do.

The following steps will accomplish the same results as the above automatically without your intervention. If you prefer to do this on a case-by-case situation, go all the way down to the end of this post and you'll find Kai Yen's simple app that you can click on to restart the coreaudiod process. His app will ask you for your login password each time you use it.

Problem: Computer shows the speaker icon grayed out randomly or consistently after you installed/upgraded to Lion.

Cause: Still unsure as to what's causing this. I've read numerous posts about how it could be associated to the Audio Midi Setup, PRAM, Disk Permissions, Audio Folders and I'm still uncertain as to what's causing the problem. All I can say is nothing has worked consistently until this workaround. We all know that stopping the coreaudiod process is a temp fix, but it's annoying to always having to do this.

Workaround Procedure:

1. Open Utility.

2. Open Applescript Editor.

3. Copy the following and paste it at the top half of the editor: (copy everything below with the quotes in place)

do shell script "launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

4. Replace "your_password" with your login password. For example if your login password is ILOVEMYSON2011 then it should look like...

do shell script "launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod" password "ILOVEMYSON2011" with administrator privileges

NOTE: What this does is it'll accomplish the same thing as "sudo killall coreaudiod" without you having to open Terminal and typing it all the time. This will automatically run each time you start your machine. This means it will NOT ask you for your password when it runs.

5. Now go to File ---> Save As (in the Applescript Editor on the Menu Bar)

Now choose a name for the file after "Save As". I called mine "AudioFix"

Under "File Format", choose "Application".

Save it to your Desktop for easy finding. You can move it elsewhere later.

6. At this time if you want to put the app you just made elsewhere, like in Applications or wherever you want, do so now.

7. Open System Preferences --> Users and Groups.

8. Select "Login Items".

9. Click on the "+" icon, which is the "Add an item to the Login Items list."

10. Find the application you just made. I put mine in the Applications folder.


That's it. Now each time you boot up or restart your machine, Lion will run this app and restart the coreaudiod process. Now pray that Apple comes out with a real, official fix.


EDIT:
After a bit of searching, I found a neat app made by Kai Yen which simply executes "sudo killall coreaudiod" in the form of an app. You can put it in your Applications folder then drag it to your dock to run as you need. If you want to have it run during Login, simply follow Steps #7-10.

The difference here is every time the app runs, it will ask you for your login password. This is good for those who are concerned/worried about storing any password on your computer associated with your login.

http://kyen99.tumblr.com/post/857325...lion-audio-fix

Last edited by Hyper-X; Aug 27, 2011 at 05:15 AM.
Hyper-X is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Aubianne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
A thousand times, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-X View Post

NOTE: What this does is it'll accomplish the same thing as "sudo killall coreaudiod" without you having to open Terminal and typing it all the time. This will automatically run each time you start your machine. This means it will NOT ask you for your password when it runs.
Hyper-X,

Not that I have such days, but if I did, today would be one where I wished I was a prostitute, so that I could show you just how grateful I am for this.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. Being that my ENTIRE project is audio-based (an audio drama) you can imagine how wonderful it is to lose iTunes, or YouTube, or even VLC - and not for any known reason, either. No, no. Just because.

I am indebted to you.

As for you, Apple -- really, guys? Please! Get on this! I get that all new releases have bugs, but this is ridiculous.

-A.
Aubianne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 06:37 PM   #3
couto27
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: lisboa,portugal
thank you

you guys rocks

thank you very much
__________________
iphone5 iphone4s macbook air 11 ultimate macbook air 13 (2011) iPad 2
couto27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:25 PM   #4
teobesta
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
thank you a million times over

had found the kai yen solution via twitter
but it hadn't worked for me

i wish i'd found this post first
would've saved me *hours*
teobesta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:21 AM   #5
kalakov
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubianne View Post
Hyper-X,

Not that I have such days, but if I did, today would be one where I wished I was a prostitute, so that I could show you just how grateful I am for this.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. Being that my ENTIRE project is audio-based (an audio drama) you can imagine how wonderful it is to lose iTunes, or YouTube, or even VLC - and not for any known reason, either. No, no. Just because.

I am indebted to you.

As for you, Apple -- really, guys? Please! Get on this! I get that all new releases have bugs, but this is ridiculous.

-A.


lol...hahahahhahaa


great work hyper-x
kalakov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:40 AM   #6
east69
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Europe
Hrt music streamer pro

Tried anything but it seems not to work on my machine. You think there might be a difference within the streamer models? I use a HRT Music Streamer Pro Model. Really sad that I can't listen to all the good music anymore.... ...also the latest Apple fix seems not to work anymore...

really help needed

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-X View Post
This is a problem that appears on many OS X Lion machines where the speaker icon on the menu bar randomly or consistently grays itself out. The most common solutions are to plug in/out a headphone into the jack or opening up Terminal and typing "sudo killall coreaudiod" which can be cumbersome and annoying to do.

The following steps will accomplish the same results as the above automatically without your intervention. If you prefer to do this on a case-by-case situation, go all the way down to the end of this post and you'll find Kai Yen's simple app that you can click on to restart the coreaudiod process. His app will ask you for your login password each time you use it.

Problem: Computer shows the speaker icon grayed out randomly or consistently after you installed/upgraded to Lion.

Cause: Still unsure as to what's causing this. I've read numerous posts about how it could be associated to the Audio Midi Setup, PRAM, Disk Permissions, Audio Folders and I'm still uncertain as to what's causing the problem. All I can say is nothing has worked consistently until this workaround. We all know that stopping the coreaudiod process is a temp fix, but it's annoying to always having to do this.

Workaround Procedure:

1. Open Utility.

2. Open Applescript Editor.

3. Copy the following and paste it at the top half of the editor: (copy everything below with the quotes in place)

do shell script "launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod" password "your_password" with administrator privileges

4. Replace "your_password" with your login password. For example if your login password is ILOVEMYSON2011 then it should look like...

do shell script "launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod" password "ILOVEMYSON2011" with administrator privileges

NOTE: What this does is it'll accomplish the same thing as "sudo killall coreaudiod" without you having to open Terminal and typing it all the time. This will automatically run each time you start your machine. This means it will NOT ask you for your password when it runs.

5. Now go to File ---> Save As (in the Applescript Editor on the Menu Bar)

Now choose a name for the file after "Save As". I called mine "AudioFix"

Under "File Format", choose "Application".

Save it to your Desktop for easy finding. You can move it elsewhere later.

6. At this time if you want to put the app you just made elsewhere, like in Applications or wherever you want, do so now.

7. Open System Preferences --> Users and Groups.

8. Select "Login Items".

9. Click on the "+" icon, which is the "Add an item to the Login Items list."

10. Find the application you just made. I put mine in the Applications folder.


That's it. Now each time you boot up or restart your machine, Lion will run this app and restart the coreaudiod process. Now pray that Apple comes out with a real, official fix.


EDIT:
After a bit of searching, I found a neat app made by Kai Yen which simply executes "sudo killall coreaudiod" in the form of an app. You can put it in your Applications folder then drag it to your dock to run as you need. If you want to have it run during Login, simply follow Steps #7-10.

The difference here is every time the app runs, it will ask you for your login password. This is good for those who are concerned/worried about storing any password on your computer associated with your login.

http://kyen99.tumblr.com/post/857325...lion-audio-fix
east69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Mr.Wang
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
If you don't want your password to be saved in applescript, just click on the check-box "run-only" when saving it. The file will not be editable and cannot be opened later on.
Mr.Wang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
neurophysicist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: korriban
Hello everyone,

I was still having some trouble. I used Hyper-Xs suggestion to make the script. When it is run, the grey half circles next to the speaker button disappear, but then they come back again later. Did anyone else still have trouble with this?

EDIT: Tried restarting and such, still the same problem. Only way to work around at the moment is headphones . Also downloaded the app made by Kai Yen, same thing happens.

Last edited by neurophysicist; Nov 11, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
neurophysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:38 PM   #9
neurophysicist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: korriban
After shutting down, audio worked most of today. However it has now gone out again after using quicktime to watch a movie. Anyone else have something similar happen?
neurophysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Hyper-X
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurophysicist View Post
Hello everyone,

I was still having some trouble. I used Hyper-Xs suggestion to make the script. When it is run, the grey half circles next to the speaker button disappear, but then they come back again later. Did anyone else still have trouble with this?

EDIT: Tried restarting and such, still the same problem. Only way to work around at the moment is headphones . Also downloaded the app made by Kai Yen, same thing happens.
What you're seeing is relating to reseting the "coreaudiod" process. If you type in Terminal ""sudo killall coreaudiod" without the quotes, it accomplishes the same thing, just in a different way.

Think of it like rebooting just the audio portion. Running the script shuts down the processes and OS X simply restarts them.

This workaround is very specific to a type of audio problem, it doesn't fix all audio-related issues.

It's possible you might have an issue with Lion and the Audio Mixer settings. You can take a look at the following link.

http://pedroassuncao.com/2011/03/osx...nes-sound-bug/
__________________
OS X Lion speaker icon gray on Menu Bar workaround.
Hyper-X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:18 PM   #11
danzg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet??
danzg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Hyper-X
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Need someone to verify if this exists in 10.7.4, thanks.
__________________
OS X Lion speaker icon gray on Menu Bar workaround.
Hyper-X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Gi0
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-X View Post
Need someone to verify if this exists in 10.7.4, thanks.
10.7.4 and just got this problem.MBP mid 2010.
One hint that might help. I used QuickTime after a long time (vlc user) just before it appeared. Script and app are no go, only workaround is to plug in the headphones
Gi0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Gi0
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quick and dirty fix (..at least for my case).
Watched the video i was watching when the problem occured with plugged in earphones. But this time i watched it till the end, let quicktime finish its thing with the sound (something that i hadn't done when the whole thing started).Removed earphones after and everything seems to work ok. Restarted a couple of times without any problem.
Won't be using quicktime any time soon.
Gi0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Hyper-X
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Your symptoms don't seem to match up with the conditions of this workaround. The workaround is a script to automate the process of killing a specific process so that OSX can reload it, thus restoring sound.

Your situation appears to be linked to a specific app (QT) using ear/headphones and it's possible you're suffering from a different issue. I posted this link above but if you haven't seen it yet, here it is again.

http://pedroassuncao.com/blog/2011/0...nes-sound-bug/

http://www.digitalcupcake.net/2012/0...on-10-7-3-fix/
__________________
OS X Lion speaker icon gray on Menu Bar workaround.
Hyper-X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 01:51 AM   #16
poobear
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Have this issue on brand new MBA on Mavericks after playing Youtube in Safari sometimes. The shell script worked wonderfully, thanks!
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think the iPhone 5 speaker is good enough as a stand alone speaker for music? Myiphone7 iPhone 18 Apr 5, 2013 09:21 AM
BT Speaker Battle: Jabra Jambox (mini) vs. new JBL Flip Bluetooth Speaker? shenan1982 iPhone Accessories 10 Mar 31, 2013 04:49 PM
MBR grayed out tammyinmo Mac Peripherals 3 Feb 8, 2013 01:32 PM
Why is my file grayed out? Mikebike125 Mac Basics and Help 1 Jul 14, 2012 01:38 PM
I need a small but powerful speaker system (Yes, I did write speaker as in singular) Willi4m Mac Peripherals 8 Jun 3, 2012 04:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC