Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I am considering replacing my iTunes server (an old Celeron) PC running iTunes. I would love to get a MacMini for this but it seems like overkill. The entire iTunes library is on an external drive that is readable by both PC and Mac; thus moving it over will be easy.

But what I am considering is taking my old Apple TV1 and installing Leopard on it and using that to share iTunes and nothing else.

Has anyone done this? How does it work? Any thoughts?

magid

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2003
Have you thought about using a NAS as your server? You could probably use your old drive in there and would be much cheaper than buying a new or used mini even.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Have you thought about using a NAS as your server? You could probably use your old drive in there and would be much cheaper than buying a new or used mini even.

I have a NAS but that does not server up iTunes. I have all of my data in iTunes presented to all of the ATV's in the house; everything can stream from it without problems.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Thanks Roidy, I didn't see that thread. :( Look like it is what I want; now to find another ATV1 to do this with. Since I'm keeping my entire library on an external drive, no need to bother looking for one of the larger drive versions; the 40GB should be good for me.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.