Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1
furby3
macrumors member

What happens when my iPhone is to old for iOS upgrades?

I have an iPhone 3GS. Works fine for me and I'd like to keep it as long as possible, but I realize it's getting a little long in the tooth compared to the latest iPhone and upcoming iPhone 5.

I'm wondering what will happen when it gets too old to support future iOS upgrades?

When I plug it into my computer and go to iTunes will it no longer tell me there's an upgrade available?

And what about the apps? Are they frozen in time? Are they still able to function?
furby3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:55 PM   #2
redbotsoftware
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby3 View Post
I have an iPhone 3GS. Works fine for me and I'd like to keep it as long as possible, but I realize it's getting a little long in the tooth compared to the latest iPhone and upcoming iPhone 5.

I'm wondering what will happen when it gets too old to support future iOS upgrades?

When I plug it into my computer and go to iTunes will it no longer tell me there's an upgrade available?

And what about the apps? Are they frozen in time? Are they still able to function?
Yes, it will no longer tell you that there's an upgrade available.
You will get updates on apps as long as the app supports the iOS version you have.
redbotsoftware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Thedeathbear
macrumors 6502a

Everything will work, you just won't be able to update iOS. It will just be like as if there wasn't an update.
Thedeathbear is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:56 PM   #4
DollFaceDork
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DollFaceDork
Surely each time you do an iOS update it updates it all bit by bit just like an iPhone 4 and soon to be iPhone 5/4S.

Otherwise millions of iPhones would become obsolete and Apple would lose customers and money?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollFaceDork View Post
Surely each time you do an iOS update it updates it all bit by bit just like an iPhone 4 and soon to be iPhone 5/4S.

Otherwise millions of iPhones would become obsolete and Apple would lose customers and money?
I wish I understood what you were trying to say.
nebo1ss is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
DollFaceDork
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DollFaceDork
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
I wish I understood what you were trying to say.
Haha never mind it sounded OK in my head...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollFaceDork View Post

No. The original iPhone stopped getting updated at iOS 3.1.3 and the 3G at iOS 4.2.1.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
No. The original iPhone stopped getting updated at iOS 3.1.3 and the 3G at iOS 4.2.1.
True, but the phones still work great.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:11 PM   #9
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816

Be glad they don't pipe a hog of an OS update to you like they did ios4 to the 3G. You don't always need the latest update.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:09 PM   #10
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbotsoftware View Post
Yes, it will no longer tell you that there's an upgrade available.
You will get updates on apps as long as the app supports the iOS version you have.
So apps won't upgrade if you don't have a compatible OS?
diamond.g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:20 PM   #11
~Ks383~
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
So apps won't upgrade if you don't have a compatible OS?
Not on your device.

You have to watch out upgrading them in iTunes though. It will let the upgrade happen. I have a 3G and have not upgraded to 4.x.x because it is awful on the 3G. I had to download a cracked older version of an app I had paid for due to iTunes upgrading an app to a version that was not compatible with my firmware. I didn't have it on my phone at the time so the cracked version was my only option if I did not want to lose an app that I had paid for.

Last edited by ~Ks383~; Aug 15, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
~Ks383~ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:28 PM   #12
iMrNiceGuy0023
macrumors 68000

the 3GS will run iOS 5, not all the features, so you should be fine until the iPhone 6 comes out
iMrNiceGuy0023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:07 PM   #13
Kentochan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
True, but the phones still work great.
I can't say the iPhone 3G works great, because my 3G with 4.2.1 is extremely slow. Hope that won't be the case for future 3GS users.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:47 PM   #14
furby3
macrumors member

I'll take a wait and see approach on 5

I think I'll wait until the reviews are in before trying iOS 5 on my 3GS.

Apple should make it so you can go back to a previous version if you are unsatisfied with the OS upgrade.
furby3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:07 PM   #15
Amrole
macrumors newbie

I got my phone free 2 years ago.

My phone is iphone 3. I am now seeing pages that are blank or inaccessible. At least my phone is at the end of the 2 year agreement. Ends February. Yay, I am having the most problems in Facebook when I want to open a video. Some places in app store is unavailable. If I would of bought the next one up; I wouldn't be having any problems right now. I don't mind tho I am use too working around glitches with other devices I am sure this wont bug me.

Last edited by Amrole; Dec 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Amrole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:15 PM   #16
nouveau-apple
macrumors 6502

It gets... left behind.
nouveau-apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:46 AM   #17
HarryWild
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby3 View Post

I still use my iPod Touch 4th generation with an A4 and 256MB memory. If you do not update the iOS since you got it; it will be very fast still but you will get left out of the more corporate Apps like CBS, NBC, ESPN, Apple Store, etc... want you to upgrade to near the latest iOS. But many of the smaller company type apps still work well and don't require you to upgrade to have it run. Be very cautious of bug fix upgrades. I your app is running fine; skip the upgrade. I use to have 5.1.2? and on a lark; did finaly upgrade to 6.1.1 and it slow the Touch down by 40% or more and many of the Apps that worked after the upgrade; got left behind with 7.0 update requirements. So I did myself a big disservice! It so slow now with 6.1.1!
HarryWild is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
3gs, ios, iphone, upgrades