Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:11 AM   #1
SR20DETDOG
macrumors regular

Not Sure whether to buy Domain Name or Not

Firstly, sorry for the not very descriptive title, I wasn't sure what to put.
For a while now I've been wanting to buy some proper hosting and create myself a website as I'm an aspiring designer so I'd like a place to showcase some work.

It's taken a long time but I've finally settled on Desire Line as a name I like. A quick search shows desirelinedesign.com is available for purchase. A bit more searching led me to http://www.desirelinesdesign.co.uk a graphic design company though.

That put me off buying the domain name, however, when I actually visited http://www.desirelinesdesign.co.uk there's nothing there. So now I'm not sure whether I should or shouldn't register desirelinedesign.com, on one hand it's very similar to another, on the other hand, the other one doesn't really exist.

Wondering what your thoughts are?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETDOG View Post
....That put me off buying the domain name, however, when I actually visited http://www.desirelinesdesign.co.uk there's nothing there. So now I'm not sure whether I should or shouldn't register desirelinedesign.com, on one hand it's very similar to another, on the other hand, the other one doesn't really exist.

Wondering what your thoughts are?
a web site may not exist, but somebody owns it and they could get around to finally putting up their web site tomorrow.

If you were in the UK then it would be more of a problem, but you aren't so maybe it's less of an issue.

Myself, I wouldn't want a domain name that's so close to somebody else's
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:57 PM   #3
snberk103
macrumors 603

Go and get the name. Now that you've publicly identified it as a name you want, it may just be a matter of time before someone else picks it up with the intention of making a profit from you. Heck I almost registered it myself just to see if you wanted to buy it back from me.....

Domain names are cheap. I have nearly a dozen I keep around for "just in case". You may end up getting a variation on the name Desire Line, and this name could then just feed in to your main site....
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development