Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitelxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Hey guys, I have a 20 inch imac, 2.66 ghz. Im using my dads computer to ask this because mine is just freezing when I click apps, move the mouse, etc. I bought the imac in 2009 and it was gooing good till now. My one year warranty is up and I sadly didnt get the AppleCare plan. My dad paid $500 at the apple store to fix a hardware problem about a month ago when it crashed. But now its been freezing for about a week now. I already put the install disk in and ran a repair and it fixed it for about 5 minutes than it starts freezing again and whenever it freezes all i see is a spin wheel. Im really lost... any ideas? thanks guys.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hey guys, I have a 20 inch imac, 2.66 ghz. Im using my dads computer to ask this because mine is just freezing when I click apps, move the mouse, etc. I bought the imac in 2009 and it was gooing good till now. My one year warranty is up and I sadly didnt get the AppleCare plan. My dad paid $500 at the apple store to fix a hardware problem about a month ago when it crashed. But now its been freezing for about a week now. I already put the install disk in and ran a repair and it fixed it for about 5 minutes than it starts freezing again and whenever it freezes all i see is a spin wheel. Im really lost... any ideas? thanks guys.

Do need to give more information like what OS are you using. Is the machine stock or did you install third party RAM? Was the computer freezing before you took it into the Apple store to get ir fixed? Apple gives you a 90 day warantee after a repair is done, for that repair.

Before you venture back to the Apple store, try doing some other things first. Make sure you have applied all the current updates available. Try resetting your PRAM and SMC. Also boot into safe mode and see if the iMac freezes. I would also suggest doing a clean install and see if that solves the issue. Just make sure you do a backup before you do the install.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
The spinning beach ball as you've described is most likely to be a bad hard drive, but the fact that Apple's had the machine within the past ninety days means you should take it back and let them look at it.

Infinitelxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Hey thanks for the replies and Taz I've done every possible thing, Zapping the PRAM, doing a clean install, repairing the drives, etc. and nothin worked. But i will definitly take it back tomorrow, thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.