Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lte_logo.jpg
Following up on the interest generated by yesterday's disclosure that wireless carriers are using a special build of iOS containing unique property list files referring to LTE compatibility, Engadget now reports that AT&T has recently installed LTE network equipment in at least one Apple retail store.
Now we've received the image you see above, which shows some 4G LTE equipment that was recently installed in a major Apple store -- by AT&T, according to our source. Making things somewhat more interesting is the equipment itself, one piece of which supports only the 700MHz and AWS bands -- both of which AT&T plans to use for its LTE network if the T-Mobile acquisition goes through.
Rumors have indicated that the iPhone 5 will be supporting the HSPA+ 4G standard, with Apple reportedly holding off on supporting the more advanced LTE 4G standard for the time being until adoption spreads and chips meeting Apple's size and performance standards become available early next year.

But with Apple providing its carrier partners with special iOS builds referencing LTE and carriers like AT&T apparently installing LTE equipment on-site at Apple stores, it seems natural to speculate that Apple is indeed testing LTE-enabled iPhones, perhaps in real-world settings. The developments also provide hope for those seeking an LTE iPhone later this year, but the majority of reports continue to indicate that Apple will be holding off until 2012 to make the technology available to the public.

Update: Engadget's source has requested that the image be removed, and we have complied with the request.

Article Link: AT&T Installing 4G LTE Network Equipment in Apple Retail Stores?

Last edited:

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
If true, that would be big news, but I'm still very skeptical. Apple has always been very slow to adopt new standards, mostly because they result in inconsistent user experience/speed and because their performance (power usage) is usually not very optimized.

I'll believe it when I see it in the Stevenote.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Looks more like a bomb to me...

But seriously, I laugh at what this could be (but hopefully isn't): You demo the new AT&T iPhone in the Apple Store and you have fast, strong LTE signal. You go home, and you are on 3G.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I'll be one happy customer if they roll out at LTE iPhone this year. Currently I'm in the only city in Canada to have their LTE network ready with Rogers. Would be great to take advantage of it.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If true, that would be big news, but I'm still very skeptical. Apple has always been very slow to adopt new standards, mostly because they result in inconsistent user experience/speed and because their performance (power usage) is usually not very optimized.

Could it be that they see that they cannot be slow to move anymore? It was ok back in 2007, 2008, and 2009. But now they cannot leave major selling points on the table. Even if they just annouce an LTE phone for release later in the year or early next year it would help.

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
What does this even mean? LTE is a cell phone service; is there a cell tower on top of the building? If yes, then I assume that AT&T is rolling out LTE to this particular tower and it has nothing to do with Apple. If no, then what kind of "LTE" equipment is this since and what does that have to do with iPhones?

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
As much as I'd love 4G speed on my phone, I hope Apple holds off until the battery life issue is addressed. I'm not keen on having to toggle back and forth between 3G and 4G to make sure my phone can get through a full day.

Also, when I finally get a 4G-equipped iPhone, I want whatever carrier I opt to choose to have decent 4G coverage in my area if they are going to charge me for the privilege of having it on my phone.

I agree.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
For the 100th time, I could care less about LTE -- AT&T how about get 3G working reliably first???

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
The LTE-enabled iOS build for the carriers didn't necessarily mean anything was coming soon, but putting it in retail stores? Is Apple trying to shake things up by actually offering a not-yet-widespread standard? It seems like they'd have to, given the acceleration of network speed improvements. They can't really call their products magical if they take twice as long to download media.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
This is what currently Verizon's LTE network offers using thunderbolt LTE phone:
209lrmu.png

Imagine iOS device polished running at 50mbps on the go!!! SICK

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
What does this even mean? LTE is a cell phone service; is there a cell tower on top of the building? If yes, then I assume that AT&T is rolling out LTE to this particular tower and it has nothing to do with Apple. If no, then what kind of "LTE" equipment is this since and what does that have to do with iPhones?

Huh? Cell towers put out miles of service. Apple Stores always have much smaller in house equipment to just cover the store itself. That appears to be what this is, just for 4G.

The local Apple Store is in the basement of the mall, so outside you get really bad 3G reception, but as soon as you go in you get perfect 3G, due to these mini nodes they install. Wouldn't look so good if you were selling iPhones in your store and they were only getting 1 or 2 bars.

This is especially suspicious given that if this is a 4G node, it would only cover the store itself, and the only reason they install these in the store is to boost iPhone reception...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This is what currently Verizon's LTE network offers using thunderbolt LTE phone: Image

Imagine iOS device polished running at 50mbps on the go!!! SICK

how fast is it once verizon starts throttling you after your monthly quota?

----------

Could it be a mistake and just be HSPA+ hardware?

LTE hardware will do everything else as well so it could be AT&T just buying some new equipment just because it's cheaper to manage than old equipment

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Looks like the September launch is going to happen! :D Apple event invitations should be going out within the next two weeks hopefully. iOS 5 beta 6 should come out August 17th or 18th according to 9to5mac, early September media event saying here is the iPhone 5 and the iOS 5 GM is available for devs today, with the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 public GM going live September 13th according to the O2 rumors. Cannot wait!

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I dunno... this seems a bit odd. Why would AT&T install LTE if none of the Apple products have LTE. (Realistically, iPhone 5's not gonna have LTE... LTE isn't everywhere yet and it's a battery drainer). It'd be more realistic if AT&T installed this at Apple's campus (which they probably have already), but at Apple stores... it just seems coincidental at best.

I dunno... I'm not really knowledgeable in these areas; all I know is, I want my iPhone 5 already! :)

ski1ski1

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007

Huh ? Is that why Apple was one of the first manufacturers to produce laptops with the Thunderbolt I/O technology ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.