Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:56 PM   #1
onthecouchagain
Banned

How to keep Macbook Air connected to internet while lid is closed?

Title says it all. It seems whenever I close the lid to my Air, it disconnects from the WiFi so downloads pause. If I want to leave my computer on overnight to download large files, but want to keep the lid closed, how do I do this? Is it even possible? Essentially, can I put the Air to sleep while still having it connected to WiFi and continuously downloading.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:59 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I believe you have to have a monitor and keyboard attached to your Air
The Air only supports operating in lid-closed mode when you have a monitor and keyboard attached to it. If you don't have those attached to it, your laptop will automatically power off when you close the lid, and you'll lose your wifi connection.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I wonder if InsonmiaX still works. I usually just have only the display sleep while downloads are going.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

^ good point.
Here is a thread on it.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192312
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:16 PM   #5
alriyn
macrumors newbie

InsomniaX works

I have InsomniaX working fine under Lion. I did have the previous version working and now version 2.0 seems to work as well.
alriyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Brandon0448
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Title says it all. It seems whenever I close the lid to my Air, it disconnects from the WiFi so downloads pause. If I want to leave my computer on overnight to download large files, but want to keep the lid closed, how do I do this? Is it even possible? Essentially, can I put the Air to sleep while still having it connected to WiFi and continuously downloading.
I use Sleepless, it does cost $9.50 but its a very handy little tool. It adds a little light bulb to your top status bar that lets you change the sleep settings whenever you wish. There is a trial version of Sleepless, it has the full functionality of the paid version but just nags you to upgrade all the time.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:20 PM   #7
onthecouchagain
Banned

I see. Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll look into my options. For now, I suppose I'll just leave the lid open while downloading overnight.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air