Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:30 AM   #1
magyarangol
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Mouse "lag" / jerky movement

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have looked but to no avail.

Having made the switch this week and spending an absolute fortune on my new very sexy iMac, I cannot express how dissapointed I am with this mouse "lag" issue.

Is there a solution to this problem or is it simply something I have to get used to? Not that I want to get used to it as I work heavily with Lightroom and Photoshop and trying to use the mouse/pointer is simply disastrous.

It tracks on some parts of the screen fine, but then it sort of runs into a sticky patch for a couple of seconds, slows down and sort of jerks on. It then goes back normally and then hits another part of the screen and repeats the process.

I am using the 2011 new iMac i5 with 12 GB of RAM and I have tried the Magic Mouse (lags) a wired Logitech Mouse (same problem but heavy lag) and even the magic track pad.

Please help
magyarangol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
dead flag blues
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
I'd head straight to the Genius Bar if there is an Apple Store nearby. If not, call Apple Support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyarangol View Post
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have looked but to no avail.

Having made the switch this week and spending an absolute fortune on my new very sexy iMac, I cannot express how dissapointed I am with this mouse "lag" issue.

Is there a solution to this problem or is it simply something I have to get used to? Not that I want to get used to it as I work heavily with Lightroom and Photoshop and trying to use the mouse/pointer is simply disastrous.

It tracks on some parts of the screen fine, but then it sort of runs into a sticky patch for a couple of seconds, slows down and sort of jerks on. It then goes back normally and then hits another part of the screen and repeats the process.

I am using the 2011 new iMac i5 with 12 GB of RAM and I have tried the Magic Mouse (lags) a wired Logitech Mouse (same problem but heavy lag) and even the magic track pad.

Please help
dead flag blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:50 PM   #3
BrutusMaximus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I have a similar problem, but the problem only happens when i have my mini display port connected. if the second monitor is off, and plugged in, the mouse would lag. But if i turned on the second monitor, no mouse lag at all. very strange, can't figure it out.

O ya, 27" i7, SL
__________________
27" iMac i7, 15" MBP, iPhone 4, iPad 2 64, apple tv 2
BrutusMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
zarathu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
This is not normal. I've never had mouse lag even back to a MacPlus in 1989. You have some issue, and Apple will be more than happy to help you with it.

Everytime I've visited the store or called them they are very very gracious. They've made me feel as if I'm the only person in the world.

BTW, I've had the impression that these guys like to be stumped. I think they have special deal with the company to have good things happen to them if they can find some problem that no one has ever heard about
zarathu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:50 AM   #5
magyarangol
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Thank you for the replies. I contacted Apple support last night, very helpful, and we went through many tests to resolve. The Mac is only 2 days old so quick to look through etc. They found no issues (hardware & software) and couldn't resolve my problem.
I installed some 3rd party drivers for the mouse, namely "Steermouse". It has helped a little bit to resolve the acceleration curve but it's still not as smooth as windows

I will be buying a compatible Logitech M500 today as reports from net say it's good. Will install all drivers and see if that helps. It may just be the wireless/bluetooth connection? I hope so at least.
magyarangol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Sylvan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyarangol View Post
Thank you for the replies. I contacted Apple support last night, very helpful, and we went through many tests to resolve. The Mac is only 2 days old so quick to look through etc. They found no issues (hardware & software) and couldn't resolve my problem.
I installed some 3rd party drivers for the mouse, namely "Steermouse". It has helped a little bit to resolve the acceleration curve but it's still not as smooth as windows

I will be buying a compatible Logitech M500 today as reports from net say it's good. Will install all drivers and see if that helps. It may just be the wireless/bluetooth connection? I hope so at least.
For what it's worth, I just installed a Logitech M500 today and it is great. You kind of have to tinker with the tracking speed on both the Mouse and the Logitech control panels, since they both interact with each other, but I did end up finding a setting that I liked.

I did not have any mouse issues with the Apple mouse though, I just like the Logitech's shape and button layout better.
Sylvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:16 AM   #7
magyarangol
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
You kind of have to tinker with the tracking speed on both the Mouse and the Logitech control panels, since they both interact with each other, but I did end up finding a setting that I like
Thank you for this
magyarangol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:17 AM   #8
magyarangol
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Problem resolved.

Removed the wireless (bluetooth) Magic Mouse installed drivers for the Logitech M500 Corded mouse

Re-booted, connected the USB to Mac = Pure and utter awesomeness
magyarangol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:37 AM   #9
zarathu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyarangol View Post
Problem resolved.

Removed the wireless (bluetooth) Magic Mouse installed drivers for the Logitech M500 Corded mouse

Re-booted, connected the USB to Mac = Pure and utter awesomeness
The blue tooth keyboard and mouse are elegant. But for a desktop machine which never goes anywhere but stays on the desk, they are not really needed. I have a gread logitech mouse which is a USB wired thing. The keyboard is the bluetooth variety and its nice to set it aside to do some work on the desk like a real desk. But the mouse simply moves to the side.

Glad you can see what a mac is really like.

My wife asked me yesterday as I was reveling in the integration of Aperture, iTunes, iDVD, and iMovie as I was making a slide show movie of my daughter's child hood pictures for her to have, whether there was anything in the pc(Dell etc) world that I missed. I said emphatically NO. I've always had macs, and apples since the Apple 2 in 1983. I've had to use a nice Dell and then Lenovo lap top running windows since 1995 at work before I retired. I can use them fine. But I would never ever(did I say NEVER?) choose one over a Mac.
zarathu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:48 AM   #10
jasam
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
I was having probably the same problem few days ago with new mouse (Logitech Performance MX).After few days trying everything i can think off i found out that lag appears when second monitor is attached to thunderbolt(minidisplay)-dvi.

Am having this problem on SL.Nothing helped except that.
But thats not really a solution.
jasam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:27 PM   #11
quicksite
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Arrow SOLUTION now to the huge problem of Mouse lag b/n 2 screens

I registered just to post this, because of good karma. I googled this topic, found this thread, but also found this from an engineer who finally couldn't take it, and created software to fix this:

http://smoothmouse.com/ <--- it's FREE, but you should donate. Untold hours and hours of higher productivity due to this amazing fix, which installs as a new Preference Pane, and has spped controls for both mouses and trackpads.

Here's his original blog entry upon creating this solution
http://d43.me/blog/1205/the-cause-fo...se-annoyances/
quicksite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB Mouse "lag" with external display? Hog Milanese MacBook Air 6 Jun 16, 2014 04:16 PM
Lag with Applications folder (Dock) "view as list" in 15" Retina Macbook Pro Cardsnk MacBook Pro 2 Jun 12, 2014 12:52 AM
Question about lag when scaling "down" on 13" rMBP Miss Terri MacBook Pro 11 Nov 26, 2013 01:24 PM
Jerky mouse movement ViltiesVance OS X 1 Sep 2, 2013 12:02 PM
OS X: CS:GO "command" + "left mouse click" causes "right mouse click" Whats wrong? oeppel Mac and PC Games 1 Apr 6, 2013 04:12 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC