Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:22 AM   #1
crashnburn
macrumors regular

Google Voice Number: Incoming Ring / Notification? on which App?

Google Voice Number: Incoming Ring / Notification? on which App?

I am able to use Talkatone with my GV Number to make outgoing calls over VoIP (Using Wifi for now) for free.

But despite having several apps: Talkatone, Google Voice, GVMobile, GV+ etc. I am unable to have my iPhone RING when I get incoming calls & receive calls on the iPhone incoming to the Google Voice number.

Is anyone using a certain App & config that works here please do let me know?
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Rayfire
macrumors 68020

Odd. My iPhone rings fine when someone calls me with my Google voice number. Are you sure you have the right settings on your google voice account online? You need to make sure calls are forwarded to the right phone (in this case your iPhone) so it would ring when someone calls GV. Unless you want an app to "notify" you when there's an incoming call - that I'm not sure of.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:05 AM   #3
crashnburn
macrumors regular

My primary purpose for using GV is because I am out of the US quite a bit. At those times I have WiFi & 3G access with a local SIM card, but want to be REACHABLE on my GV Number on my iPhone.

At this point my GV settings might not be correct and somehow I think its pointing to my Landline or Cell in the US.

Question: How do I make INCOMING CALLS.. RING my iPhone (currently they always go to VM) through the Internet without using any Telco/ Cell phone connection/ minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfire View Post
Odd. My iPhone rings fine when someone calls me with my Google voice number. Are you sure you have the right settings on your google voice account online? You need to make sure calls are forwarded to the right phone (in this case your iPhone) so it would ring when someone calls GV. Unless you want an app to "notify" you when there's an incoming call - that I'm not sure of.
I am guessing that in your case the call is forwarded from GV number to your US cell / land line number so you receive the call over the Telco / Cellular connect not the WiFi connect?

The question is how do I make sure the iPhone RINGS and lets me receive the call (over WiFi/3G) and talk instead of going to the GV voicemail.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Rayfire
macrumors 68020

Ah I get it now, yeah somehow AFAIK there is no way to do that. You can try exploring the jb route but I'm not familiar if they have an option to do so with what you're asking for GV.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
crashnburn
macrumors regular

I can use Talkatone to make outgoing US calls over WiFi, but when the calls are incoming they dont really RING and very quickly (or without ringing) go to the Voicemail and at times I see it as missed call in my GV History and at times I dont.

Anyway to fix the incoming? And ensure it rings my iPhone over WiFi using some GV related App?

Or maybe some SIP related App with some other configurations?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps