Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:51 AM   #1
rlu929s
macrumors regular

WideScreen Stretched?

I ripped one of my DVD's (First Time) using MakeMKV and the running it through Handbrake using the ATV2 preset.

It worked fine, but when I view it on my TV the aspect is a little stretched. The source should have been widescreen.

I could get it to look good by putting my TV in WIDE ZOOM mode. I'd like to keep the aspect ratio of the source.

Any thoughts?
rlu929s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post
I ripped one of my DVD's (First Time) using MakeMKV and the running it through Handbrake using the ATV2 preset.

It worked fine, but when I view it on my TV the aspect is a little stretched. The source should have been widescreen.

I could get it to look good by putting my TV in WIDE ZOOM mode. I'd like to keep the aspect ratio of the source.

Any thoughts?
Have you determined that the TV and not the file is the source of the wonky aspect ratio?

The ATV2 preset uses a loose anamorphic filter to make the aspect ratio for videos widescreen; without the anamorphic filter, all of your DVDs would come out to be a 720x480 resolution. To get the exact aspect of each film, you'll need to go into picture settings and change the anamorphic filter from "loose" to "strict." I think the only downside to doing this, in the dabbling I've done in handbrake's settings, is that you'll end up with inconsistent dimensions in movies you rip (since they'll vary from case to case). If that doesn't bug you, I'd try changing the anamorphic filter and seeing if that fixes your problem.

If that does not fix your problem and it is indeed your television, then you'll want to be more specific on the kind of TV you own so that other members can help you. I view all my content on a 32" Vizio, so I probably can't offer much advice.

Last edited by obsidian1200; Aug 18, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
obsidian1200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:58 PM   #3
rlu929s
macrumors regular

I figured it out. I wasn't click the ATV2 preset each time as I thought it held the preset.

Doing that fixed my issue.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post
I figured it out. I wasn't click the ATV2 preset each time as I thought it held the preset.

Doing that fixed my issue.
Oh okay just so you know, you can make the ATV2 preset the default preset so you don't forget to click it. All you need to do is click on the ATV2 preset, navigate to the preset menu, and select "Select Default Preset"
obsidian1200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5
rlu929s
macrumors regular

Nice..thanks for the tip. that'll save me a click each time.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater