Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:43 AM   #1
PYT1986
macrumors newbie

Do you want to erase this iphone & sync with this library?

Ok I have been searching for days about this now and I still cannot find a simple answer, and the reassurance I need.. I know there are a million posts about this, but they just don't answer it simply for me...

I am trying to sync my iphone 4 with my itunes because I can no longer update the music on my phone.

I get the message "Do you want to erase this iphone & sync with this itunes library."

If I click yes, to erase & sync, will I;
- Lose my contacts?
- Lose my photos?
- Lose my messages?

Or does this only erase & sync up music & apps?

I have transferred my apps to my itunes library, but the box to 'Sync Apps' is not ticked. Do I need to tick these boxes for apps, music, photos if I am going to erase & sync, or do I leave them unticked?

I have backed up my iphone with itunes.
I really do not want to lose my messages & contacts.

Any simple advice please?????
PYT1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

If you erase and sync, you will lose everything.

My suggestion is to erase and sync, then restore from your backup. If it is recent, everything will remain as it was.

I've also read that it is possible to allow your phone to be synced with multiple machines, although I don't know how to do this hopefully somebody else can chime in on that, as I would also like to know.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Badfoot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhelsdon View Post
If you erase and sync, you will lose everything.

My suggestion is to erase and sync, then restore from your backup. If it is recent, everything will remain as it was.

I've also read that it is possible to allow your phone to be synced with multiple machines, although I don't know how to do this hopefully somebody else can chime in on that, as I would also like to know.
http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/3...computers.html

This it?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:08 PM   #4
PYT1986
macrumors newbie

Ok good to know.

So if I right click on my iPhone in iTunes and click 'Back up' then click erase and sync, it'll wipe everything? Then do I go restore and it'll back it up to what I just saved?? :-/
PYT1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting