Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PYT1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ok I have been searching for days about this now and I still cannot find a simple answer, and the reassurance I need.. I know there are a million posts about this, but they just don't answer it simply for me...

I am trying to sync my iphone 4 with my itunes because I can no longer update the music on my phone.

I get the message "Do you want to erase this iphone & sync with this itunes library."

If I click yes, to erase & sync, will I;
- Lose my contacts?
- Lose my photos?
- Lose my messages?

Or does this only erase & sync up music & apps?

I have transferred my apps to my itunes library, but the box to 'Sync Apps' is not ticked. Do I need to tick these boxes for apps, music, photos if I am going to erase & sync, or do I leave them unticked?

I have backed up my iphone with itunes.
I really do not want to lose my messages & contacts.

Any simple advice please?????

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
If you erase and sync, you will lose everything.

My suggestion is to erase and sync, then restore from your backup. If it is recent, everything will remain as it was.

I've also read that it is possible to allow your phone to be synced with multiple machines, although I don't know how to do this hopefully somebody else can chime in on that, as I would also like to know.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
If you erase and sync, you will lose everything.

My suggestion is to erase and sync, then restore from your backup. If it is recent, everything will remain as it was.

I've also read that it is possible to allow your phone to be synced with multiple machines, although I don't know how to do this hopefully somebody else can chime in on that, as I would also like to know.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/30/how-to-sync-an-iphone-with-two-or-more-computers.html

This it?

PYT1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ok good to know.

So if I right click on my iPhone in iTunes and click 'Back up' then click erase and sync, it'll wipe everything? Then do I go restore and it'll back it up to what I just saved?? :-/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.