Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1176
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
I hate the NHL.

Boychuk gets boarded by Malkin and because it's Malkin on a Bruin its only a 2 minute penalty.

I dare anyone to dispute the fact that if it was reversed, and it was Lucic hitting Malkin like that, he would have gotten 5+ games suspension.

More inconsistency from Shanahan. I guess he got concussed a few too many times as a player. Brain damage is probably the only way you can make this many crap, inconsistent decisions.
zioxide is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1177
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
GM meetings in Florida

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=390139

sounds like the hybrid icing (mix of no touch and existing rules) is starting to get traction-no firm decision either way but it seems like more are warming up to it.

I was kinda surprised about the question of eliminating the hand pass in the defensive zone-players using it as a faceoff tatic? Seems like a really pointless rule change to me-if a guy wants to put his hand on the puck in the defensive zone, its his own fault if it gets slashed off. We already have a rule for closing one's hand on the puck-its called delay of game.

Anyone else have a better explanation or thought?
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1178
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
I was kinda surprised about the question of eliminating the hand pass in the defensive zone-players using it as a faceoff tatic? Seems like a really pointless rule change to me-if a guy wants to put his hand on the puck in the defensive zone, its his own fault if it gets slashed off. We already have a rule for closing one's hand on the puck-its called delay of game.

Anyone else have a better explanation or thought?
I don't have a problem with the rule as it currently is.

I just hope that they finally get rid of the stupid trapezoid behind the net. That was one of the dumbest rule changes they've ever made.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1179
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I don't have a problem with the rule as it currently is.

I just hope that they finally get rid of the stupid trapezoid behind the net. That was one of the dumbest rule changes they've ever made.
sadly, that won't happen

Quote:
None of the other items on the agenda gained much support, including the possible re-introduction of the red-line. The majority of the managers also remain in favour of keeping the trapezoid that prevents goaltenders from playing the puck in the corners.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1180
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
sadly, that won't happen
If true, then this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
I hate the NHL.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:03 AM   #1181
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
miracles do happen! We can win a game!!!!!
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:37 AM   #1182
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Noticed someone using this avatar on slickdeals:

Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1183
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816
 
MooneyFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Noticed someone using this avatar on slickdeals:

Image
^^ Didn't come through

I was stuck watching the Habs and Sabres last night because there was NOTHING on. Sadly, I actually wanted the Habs to win -- which they didn't. Worse yet they both got a point.
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1184
Alexwithad
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennardo View Post
Do you think they have the sauce to do what they did back in 92/93? Was it 17 in a row to finish the season? Crazy!
Haha I was just a kid then, that would be awesome. Thursday is a big game against NYR and Crosby is playing. Oh shiiieeet.
__________________
Are you a start codon because you're turning me on
Alexwithad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1185
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooneyFlyer View Post
^^ Didn't come through
Weird.....it's showing on my screen. Here's a screenshot:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 5.04.33 PM.png
Views: 55
Size:  16.7 KB
Surely is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1186
steviem
macrumors 68020
 
steviem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, Baby!
That's awesome!
__________________
iPhone 4 - iPad 2 16GB wifi - AppleTV
Sony a55 - Minolta 50mm - Tamron 55-200
MBP for work, barely use it outside of work
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:44 AM   #1187
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816
 
MooneyFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
that is excellent

Funniest thing I've seen since... well, the ***** game last night.

ugh.
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1188
steviem
macrumors 68020
 
steviem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, Baby!
Crosby going to be targeted on Thursday or will they try to not finish their checks on him as per the Hockey Today podcast? One thing they said was players don't want to go down in history as "the player who ended Crosby's career".
__________________
iPhone 4 - iPad 2 16GB wifi - AppleTV
Sony a55 - Minolta 50mm - Tamron 55-200
MBP for work, barely use it outside of work
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1189
jbennardo
macrumors 6502a
 
jbennardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooneyFlyer View Post
Funniest thing I've seen since... well, the ***** game last night.

ugh.
The B's took a beating, but at least nobody was silly-stringed.
jbennardo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1190
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
Crosby going to be targeted on Thursday or will they try to not finish their checks on him as per the Hockey Today podcast? One thing they said was players don't want to go down in history as "the player who ended Crosby's career".
I don't think that players will take it easy on him, but I don't think that they'll go out of their way to make a huge hit on him.

If a player hits him, and he goes down, I wouldn't consider that particular player to be responsible for ending his career. I kind of look at it as if Crosby's playing on borrowed time until his body can prove that he can take a punishing hit and not be out for another half season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennardo View Post
The B's took a beating, but at least nobody was silly-stringed.
Lolz.


Stamkos is awesome.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:10 PM   #1191
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816
 
MooneyFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennardo View Post
The B's took a beating, but at least nobody was silly-stringed.
I repeat, ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I don't think that players will take it easy on him, but I don't think that they'll go out of their way to make a huge hit on him.

If a player hits him, and he goes down, I wouldn't consider that particular player to be responsible for ending his career. I kind of look at it as if Crosby's playing on borrowed time until his body can prove that he can take a punishing hit and not be out for another half season.
I'm actually surprised they aren't just forcing him to sit the rest of the season. This looks way too much like Savard to me. The Rangers aren't playing a light game these days either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Lolz.
Bite it dough boy!

Sadly, I find myself having to hope for the Habs to pull out a couple of wins here. They have a home/home against Ottawa who is currently a not too distant two points behind. It's a fast drop from 2nd to 7th.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post

Stamkos is awesome.
50 goals is pretty amazing... even if they were in an empty net with Turco in net last night.

I'm guessing Zioxide finally jumped off the Longfellow.
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1192
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooneyFlyer View Post
I'm guessing Zioxide finally jumped off the Longfellow.
Not yet... I'm still here to annoy Surely and lee


That game last night was BRUTAL. A 5 year old girl in a princess costume could stop more goals than Turco did last night. Don't even know why they wasted time bringing Timmy in... should have just let him have the whole night off instead of bringing him in for 10 minutes in a game that was already lost.

To me, it looks like the Bruins hit the wall. Obviously, they have injuries, but you should be able to overcome them. EVERY player on the team looked completely gassed last night. They were out-skated so badly, the lightning beat them to the puck almost every time.

This team isn't nearly good enough to keep up that torrid pace from November/December, but when healthy and rested they are still a top-5 team in the league. That said, they aren't healthy, and more importantly they are not rested. The 107 games last year and short offseason is catching up to them quick. Sadly, with the 13 games in the next 3 weeks or so, there isn't going to be much time for rest.

I know the playoffs are a whole different season, and as last year proved, ANYTHING can happen, but for the Bruins it's just not looking good. These are the reasons no team has repeated in the last 14 years.

Luckily, we have a great general manager who realizes this, and didn't blow up the future to try to win it all again next year. This team is built for the future, with only 3 of 18 core players over the age of 30. We have tons of cap space to keep these core guys (Lucic, Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron, Rask, Boychuk, Hamilton) locked up. And with rumors of the cap possibly going up to close to $70 million next season, Pete Chiarelli has the space to bring in a player like Zach Parise or Ryan Suter if he wants too also.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1193
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816
 
MooneyFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
^^^ he surfaces!

btw: I'm selling my tickets for the 3/27 rematch game if you have any interest (my cost). I'll be traveling. I'm putting them on craigslist for bust out retail this weekend if I don't have any takers. Sold.

PS. that was me in goal last night. Prove it wasn't... and how would you know the difference, I couldn't have sucked worse. He didn't look that bad on Sunday.

Completely agree on the Timmy thing. Play Turco again Thursday, tell Timmy to go have dinner somewhere.

Last edited by MooneyFlyer; Mar 14, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1194
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
And with rumors of the cap possibly going up to close to $70 million next season, Pete Chiarelli has the space to bring in a player like Zach Parise or Ryan Suter if he wants too also.
Where have you heard that? Everything I've read/heard is that the cap will probably go down, not up.

Let's wait and see if there's even a season to speak of. CBA negotiations aren't going to start until June, and apparently they have to be finished by September 15th. That doesn't give them much time to come to an agreement, especially after what happened last time , and especially now that the NHLPA has a superstar in charge now. No way Donald Fehr is going to bend over and take it like they did last time.

Last time the PA agreed to a 24% rollback of then-current salaries, and a salary cap of $39 million. It's risen to the current level of $64.3 million.

I think it's going to get ugly.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1195
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816
 
MooneyFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Where have you heard that? Everything I've read/heard is that the cap will probably go down, not up.

Let's wait and see if there's even a season to speak of. CBA negotiations aren't going to start until June, and apparently they have to be finished by September 15th. That doesn't give them much time to come to an agreement, especially after what happened last time , and especially now that the NHLPA has a superstar in charge now. No way Donald Fehr is going to bend over and take it like they did last time.

Last time the PA agreed to a 24% rollback of then-current salaries, and a salary cap of $39 million. It's risen to the current level of $64.3 million.

I think it's going to get ugly.
I agree with this. And, the Bruins have already collected their $8600 from me... bastards.

In the meantime I'm sitting here sweating out the Habs/Ottawa game. I bought the Gamecenter Live for the remainder of the season to increase the suffering.

EDIT: Freaking Habs. No wonder they are in last. Lost two leads in another 3 pt game. Won in a SO but still let up a point.

Last edited by MooneyFlyer; Mar 15, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1196
Alexwithad
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Crosby and Letang are back tonight. I'm stoked on this game. And I'm sure if the rangers "target" Crosby we'll have some answers for them.
__________________
Are you a start codon because you're turning me on
Alexwithad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1197
MooneyFlyer
macrumors 65816
 
MooneyFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Fmd
MooneyFlyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1198
steviem
macrumors 68020
 
steviem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, Baby!
I had free tickets to the Islanders Flyers game. Section 123, I think, fairly low behind the goal.

A few things.

Islanders played like they were surprised to be in the Flyers' zone, once they got up there it seemed like they didn't really know what to do, they took a bunch of what seemed to be soft shots.

The Flyers' first goal, from where we were, seemed like it came in from an impossible angle. They scored a pretty good breakaway goal too.

Seeing Simmonds in person, he's a tough guy, hit hard (and clean) in the open ice but seemed to lose his temper easily, the fight vs Martin was pretty good, with Martin pinning him against the glass. It did look like the Islanders were out there to irritate him though.

My friend thought the best part of the game for most of it was the ice girls... But then with 8 minutes to go, the Islanders woke up. 2 goals in 35 seconds and the arena was the loudest I had ever heard. They couldn't get it into overtime though, but they really played well and stopped an embarrassing result from occurring.
__________________
iPhone 4 - iPad 2 16GB wifi - AppleTV
Sony a55 - Minolta 50mm - Tamron 55-200
MBP for work, barely use it outside of work
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1199
robo
macrumors 65816
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
I had free tickets to the Islanders Flyers game. Section 123, I think, fairly low behind the goal.

A few things.

Islanders played like they were surprised to be in the Flyers' zone, once they got up there it seemed like they didn't really know what to do, they took a bunch of what seemed to be soft shots.

The Flyers' first goal, from where we were, seemed like it came in from an impossible angle. They scored a pretty good breakaway goal too.

Seeing Simmonds in person, he's a tough guy, hit hard (and clean) in the open ice but seemed to lose his temper easily, the fight vs Martin was pretty good, with Martin pinning him against the glass. It did look like the Islanders were out there to irritate him though.

My friend thought the best part of the game for most of it was the ice girls... But then with 8 minutes to go, the Islanders woke up. 2 goals in 35 seconds and the arena was the loudest I had ever heard. They couldn't get it into overtime though, but they really played well and stopped an embarrassing result from occurring.
Dude sorry about last night Simmonds and Talbot are the grinders on the team You just ran into a team that's heating up for the playoffs If I were the Rangers and Bruins I'd watch their asses Not too bad for a bunch of rookies starting It's going to be a fun ride
Peace
__________________
"Home of the Flyer's Cup Champions"
robo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1200
Surely
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooneyFlyer View Post
Fmd
Foot and Mouth Disease? Fecal Matter Demo?


The Leafs finally won one last night. Yay.
They lose when they need to win, and they win when they need to lose. ****.


I caught some of the Pens/Rags game last night. Wow, the Pens are scary good. Letang was +5 in his first game back, and Crosby was eased in nicely with 16 minutes of ice time.


What's left of the regular season should be interesting......there are some tight playoff races going on.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014-15 NHL season thread albertfallickwa Community Discussion 29 Nov 6, 2014 10:01 AM
The 2013-14 NHL Season Thread xAnthony Community Discussion 176 Jun 7, 2014 08:39 PM
2012-2013 NBA Season Thread Moyank24 Community Discussion 84 Jun 6, 2013 12:34 AM
The NHL 2012 off-season thread. Lockout over! Surely Community Discussion 476 Jan 22, 2013 12:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC